News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Password a Catagory

Started by Geaux, January 02, 2018, 09:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geaux

I have called myself looking but cant seem to find it anywhere. Is there a way to password a Category so or do you have to do permissions to groups on who and view/read/write in that category?

SaltedWeb

There is this older mod but may be able to emulate it ??

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2873

Edit : looks like its not been updated for some time so would read up on the mod you can do that by the link where the mod is will go to a place you can ask and read what other did.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Geaux

Thanks I will give it a shot.

SaltedWeb

My own personal experience is make backups before trying these older mods some times things are find sometimes
it can cause unexpected results.  Looks like you just joined here so was not sure how familiar you are with SMF, but backups are always best when venturing into the unknown.
Good luck :-)
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Geaux on January 02, 2018, 09:47:32 PM
I have called myself looking but cant seem to find it anywhere. Is there a way to password a Category so or do you have to do permissions to groups on who and view/read/write in that category?
Personally, I would just go the permissions route if I wanted to keep a category hidden. It is safe, and it is possible without modifications.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

one person leaks that password and your password is no longer secure, permissions will always be secure and keep the wrong people out of that section.

SaltedWeb

Its probably why the mod stopped being updates as was noted in the Mod thread the idea is good, but not secure and personally I prefer permissions.
Seems like it would just be easy to group the people you want to see what you want.  As you noted Illori one leak and it no longer secure.
But with permissions its either on or off. ;-)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As the functionality is not a part of the default features and such the original question has been answered, I'll go ahead and mark this topic solved.
You are however free to continue discussion on this if you still want to go ahead and try this despite the opinions stated against it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: