News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Activations Email Not Sending??

Started by lather, January 03, 2018, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lather

I am have this and another email problem also. New users report that they do not get a notification when their registration is approved. Also I, as admin, do not get an email  notification when a registration is pending approval. I  recently (about 3 months ago) configured registration to require admin approval. We have had about 20 new registrations since  and I have never gotten an approval pending email.

Email IS working as I do get notifications when a post is made on a thread I am following and when I get a PM. I do not see any email related errors in the error log. In settings I have checked notify admins and send welcome email to new members.

Thanks

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you are sure that the mail functions are otherwise working, then please check the setting in
Admin -> Members -> Registration -> Settings -> Notify administrators when a new member joins
Is it enabled?

I would also suggest you try the user side of it for yourself to see if it works, there may be many different explanations for the messages getting lost - such as spam filters, "classified folders" and so on depending on the mail provider of the user.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SaltedWeb

Oddly enough out of the blue I found out members are not getting emails when joining or approved,
However unlike the OP here I do get a notices of a new member joining.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 04, 2018, 06:30:47 PM
Oddly enough out of the blue I found out members are not getting emails when joining or approved,
However unlike the OP here I do get a notices of a new member joining.

You would be best opening a topic of your own, even if the problem seems similar.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SaltedWeb

I did elsewhere........ but I think  Gmail was having issues as after awhile it was resolved.
Thought might be worth mentioning
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

lather

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 04, 2018, 03:41:02 AM
If you are sure that the mail functions are otherwise working, then please check the setting in
Admin -> Members -> Registration -> Settings -> Notify administrators when a new member joins
Is it enabled?

I would also suggest you try the user side of it for yourself to see if it works, there may be many different explanations for the messages getting lost - such as spam filters, "classified folders" and so on depending on the mail provider of the user.

Other mail functions are working,
I have received 2 notifcations of A reply has been posted to a topic you
are watching in the last 24 hours.

I checked Registration settings:
Method of registration employed for new members = Admin approval
Boxes are checked to Notify administrators when a new member joins
and Send welcome email to new members

As a test I registered as a new user yesterday and waited 12 hours
no new member notification to my admin account.

I  approved the test user this morning with send email.
So far two hours later the new user has not received his welcome notice.
Spam filter checked and nothing there. Will go into cPanel and try mail tracking app.

lather

I am in fact receining notices of new members but  the email is not forwarding. I have a webmaster@ account on our domain for admin puropses but I seldom access it directly as I have email forwarded to my personal email account. For some reason the new member notices will not forward. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are you sure they are not just caught by a spam filter or similar on your other account? That would be my best guess.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

lather

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 07, 2018, 12:04:02 PM
Are you sure they are not just caught by a spam filter or similar on your other account? That would be my best guess.
I have just finished checking all possible spam filters/traps and nothing there.

aegersz

did it ever work and if so, what other changes have you made to SMF ?

your host should be able to extract your email activity from their logs but that may be awkward yet might be worth trying for as you could see if the emails are getting to their mail server.

i had an issue with a mod that stopped activation emails (can't remember it though) - what version SMF and what mods do you have ?

if you can go back to automatic approval i wonder if it starts working ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

lather

Thanks for the reply.
We did not have  registration set to admin approval until the last 6 months, it has never worked in that time. I have changed the notification to go directly to my personal address instead of being forwarded from webmaster and will see what happens.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Let us know if that has any effect. If not, I'd be curious to know what e-mail provider you are using?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

aegersz

... and what are your email settings ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

lather

Thanjs for the replies.
Two new members registered. The activation notice was delivered to the old address and not forwarded.
Cganing the webmster email address seems to have no effect.
These are the only installed mods
Google Member Map   3.0.4   
SMF 2.0.15 Update      1.0   
Ad Managment      3.2   
Downloads System      3.0.1   
Contact Page      3.2
Admin Notepad      2.0.2   
Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin   4.1.1
Stop Forum Spam      1.0

What email setting do you mean?

tracing system messages to webmaster and my personal email both show [email protected] in the from column and no failures in the last 30 days.
address tracing does show the forwarding.
I should add that both mail servers involved are godaddy servers. I am going to chnage the forwarding to a non-godaddy acount.

aegersz

i meant the Admin > Maintenance > Mail settings.

i assume that you are using SMTP though so don't worry if so.

yes, trying another relay sounds like a good move - email usually works or it doesn't but you have a bit of both.

you could try gmail maybe.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: aegersz on January 10, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
Nope. Better try with anything else - Gmail is a source for problems for most users.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

aegersz

yeah i know but i have had nothing but success so i included that as an option despite writing a small mod to fix the SSL support and then configue gmail to accept it.

but you are right - there are plenty of ready-to-go options that i never attempted.

lather

Quote from: aegersz on January 10, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
i meant the Admin > Maintenance > Mail settings.

i assume that you are using SMTP though so don't worry if so.

yes, trying another relay sounds like a good move - email usually works or it doesn't but you have a bit of both.

Actually it is set to php.  I am going to try my hughes.net account and see what happens.

Thanks again for your replies.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lather on January 10, 2018, 09:34:40 AM
Two new members registered. The activation notice was delivered to the old address and not forwarded.
This would suggest the problem is somewhere in between those 2 addresses you use, and SMF is working correctly there.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Illori

they should be sent to the email address in your profile, is this email address correct?

Advertisement: