News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Activations Email Not Sending??

Started by lather, January 03, 2018, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lather

I agree SMF is working correctly notifications are going to new registrants and admin notice goes to webmaster@domain. Every other email sent to webmaster@domain gets promptly forwarded to my main personal email account, @hughes.net, my IP

For some reason the new member notice to webmaster does not get forwarded. Using the cPanel email tracing app it shows the forwarding is in effect and all mesages to webmaster were accepted, whatever that means. I will call support at Godaddy and see if they can help.

To further complicate things my email address in my profile is different from all of the above, not sure what effect that can have.
In Admin>Config>server settings>general  there is an item for webmaster email address. I am not clear what this is for as changing it does not seem to make a difference.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lather on January 14, 2018, 12:47:25 PM
For some reason the new member notice to webmaster does not get forwarded. Using the cPanel email tracing app it shows the forwarding is in effect and all mesages to webmaster were accepted, whatever that means. I will call support at Godaddy and see if they can help.
Good luck, GoDaddy is not really known for their outstanding support.

Quote from: lather on January 14, 2018, 12:47:25 PM
To further complicate things my email address in my profile is different from all of the above, not sure what effect that can have.
In Admin>Config>server settings>general  there is an item for webmaster email address. I am not clear what this is for as changing it does not seem to make a difference.
The Webmaster -email is the "From" address to be used in emails sent by the forum.
The email in your profile is the address where SMF will send you notifications based on your usergroup. ( Like new members, moderation reports etc. )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lather

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No problem. Do let us know if there is anything we can still help you with relating to this issue. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lather

Some more details on this baffling issue which might provides a clue. Our forum has the users with administor priviledges The previous user who passed the adminrole to me  a year and a half ago, he agreed to remain as backup. My user name has always been NinjaBob and that user has admin priviledges.  The two of us have always used our personal email addreses. There is also a user named MSTAAdmin whose was the original admin whose email address was webmaster@ourdomain. I am aslo the "webmaster" for our website which hosts the SMF forum as well as server admin. As such the webmaster address is forwarded to my personal address.

When I realized that the new member notifications were being delivered to webmaster I decided to change MSTAAmin's email address to my personal address as a test. I then logged out of the forum and register a test user. The welcome message was delivered to the test user's email but nothing was delivered to any admin.

So I use the server panel mail tracking app to track delivery of the notification and its ay this

Event:   success success
User:   ridemsta1
Domain:   ridemsta.com
From Address:   [email protected]
Sender:   ridemsta1
Sent Time:   Jan 17, 2018 8:55:08 AM
Sender Host:   localhost
Sender IP:   127.0.0.1
Authentication:   localuser
Spam Score:   
Recipient:   chappuis@XXXXXXXX
Delivery User:   -remote-
Delivery Domain:   
Delivered To:   chappuis@XXXXXXXX
Router:   send_to_smart_host
Transport:   remote_smtp
Out Time:   Jan 17, 2018 8:55:08 AM
ID:   1ebp7v-000058-4H
Delivery Host:   dedrelay.secureserver.net
Delivery IP:   208.109.80.54
Size:   1.68 KB
Result:   Accepted

(I have xed out may email address to avoid spam.)

If you have gotten this far thank you very much for reading. It seems clear that the notification is being sent by SMF and the forum host but for some reason hughes net won't let me see it, despite I have turned of the spam filter.
This is a mail problem not an SMF problem but if anyone has any thoughts to offer I would appreciate it very much.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I must say I'm running out of good ideas to try, it can be that the Hughes net side is for some reason completely blocking the messages.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: