News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Anybody having recent issues with gmail?

Started by Dwev, January 03, 2018, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwev

Quote from: tinoest on January 07, 2018, 12:55:14 PMSo go to Subs-Post.php and add this to the start of the smtp_mail function.

Before I start with this I want to be 100 percent sure.

The first bit of code should be added "to the start of the smtp_mail function", does this mean it should be added right after this?

// Send an email via SMTP.

aegersz

Sorry to butt in but this may help ... I manged to get this working after a code change ... see https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=556674

spooky ... the fix mentioned in there takes you back to April 03, 2016 to a thread called "Anybody having recent issues with gmail?"
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

tinoest

Quote from: Dwev on January 08, 2018, 05:42:58 AM
Quote from: tinoest on January 07, 2018, 12:55:14 PMSo go to Subs-Post.php and add this to the start of the smtp_mail function.

Before I start with this I want to be 100 percent sure.

The first bit of code should be added "to the start of the smtp_mail function", does this mean it should be added right after this?

// Send an email via SMTP.

No after the function bit. If you want to post your subs-post.php file. I'll manually edit it then upload it again.

tinoest

The attached modification should also work, I've not tested it but it looks ok.

Dwev

@ aegersz: I did read probably all of the posts about Gmail on this forum, maybe I subconsciously copied that subject (definitely not on purpose!  ;)).

@ tiniest: the zip you posted was almost empty, so that didn't work (error starts with "Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty.").

But I'm adding my Subs-Post.php, if you can edit that one so that Gmail's SSL SMTP would work I would be much obliged!

tinoest

Quote from: Dwev on January 08, 2018, 05:25:55 PM

@ tinoest: the zip you posted was almost empty, so that didn't work (error starts with "Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty.").

It should contain two files, or atleast it does when I download it.

I'll look at the code tomorrow, most likely won't get round to changing it until later in the evening.

Ignore that, see the attached.

Arantor

Depending on the tool used to make the zip file, SMF can barf on it thinking it is empty (when it clearly isn't)

Dwev

There are indeed two files in it (install.xml and package-info.xml), but I think Arantor is right here, the Package Manager doesn't like the way it's made.

@ tiniest: I'll be patiently waiting for what comes my way, very happy already with all the help I'm getting! 

tinoest

Quote from: Dwev on January 08, 2018, 05:46:44 PM
There are indeed two files in it (install.xml and package-info.xml), but I think Arantor is right here, the Package Manager doesn't like the way it's made.

@ tiniest: I'll be patiently waiting for what comes my way, very happy already with all the help I'm getting!

Its tinoest or tino.

I just uploaded a copy which I think should work.

@arantor

It's probably as I did it on my mac, I seem to recall SMF not liking it when I used that due to the hidden files macOS add's.

Dwev

Quote from: tinoest on January 08, 2018, 05:49:29 PM
Its tinoest or tino.

Sorry about that, I copied your forumname, but autocorrect changed it (good feature in general, with these kind of things really annoying).

I just uploaded a copy which I think should work.

I'll try it first thing tomorrow!

Dwev

The short answer: it works!!!

The longer answer: after uploading the Subs-Post.php of tinoest is still didn't work.

So I went back to basics and first entered the non-SSL servers of my ISP: working fine.
Next the SSL-servers, everything working as well.
After that Gmail: still nothing.

So I logged onto the Gmail account and under "Apps with account access" I set the option "Allow less secure apps" to ON.
And lo and behold, it's working!!!

I have no clue if it would work without the edited file of tinoest, I hope you forgive me that I really don't want to try...   ;)

Advertisement: