After years of smooth running, I get this error:

Started by iplan, January 03, 2018, 12:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iplan

After years of smooth running, I am now getting an error when anyone I try to connect to my simplemachines forum.

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. "

GoDaddy is hosting provider, and they confirmed the error, but also said the server is functional.  They added, "It looks like the smf directory may need to be reinstalled."

website is www.carolinacollegeprep.com

the link in the top right hand corner "Registered Students Click Here to Access Our Online SAT/ACT Prep University" is the link to the simplemachines forum.  When you click that link, you get the error message instead of being directed to the log-in page.

As it relates to the forum, there is a lot of material up there most of which is student driven ~ so I do not want to reinstall and risk losing that material.  Also ~ it has been so long since I did anything but install an update, so I'm not even sure how to proceed at this point.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

We have seen many similar cases recently with one combining element. GoDaddy.

Was your account perhaps also recently migrated to a "better server" ?
Can you confirm the database is still there and functioning?
Are the settings in Settings.php still intact and valid?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: iplan on January 03, 2018, 12:01:17 PM
I do not want to reinstall and risk losing that material

Content is in the database, reinstalling the forum doesn't affect it.  GoDaddy is in the process of migrating sites to different servers, something they've never been good at, and has trashed several accounts.  One lost his database and had no backups.  If you have recent db backup your forum is recoverable.  You should run, not walk, to a different host.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

iplan

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 03, 2018, 12:14:11 PM
Quote from: iplan on January 03, 2018, 12:01:17 PM
I do not want to reinstall and risk losing that material

Content is in the database, reinstalling the forum doesn't affect it.  GoDaddy is in the process of migrating sites to different servers, something they've never been good at, and has trashed several accounts.  One lost his database and had no backups.  If you have recent db backup your forum is recoverable.  You should run, not walk, to a different host.

After noticing the error, I downloaded all the files in the smf folder, but I'm pretty certain this doesn't count as a backup.  I was able to review the settings.php file, and everything seems normal. 

Under Database Info, I see this:
########## Database Info ##########
$db_type = 'mysql';
$db_server = 'car1216308531594.db.8595605.hostedresource.com';
$db_name = 'car1216308531594';
$db_user = 'car1216308531594';
$db_passwd = ;
$ssi_db_user = '';
$ssi_db_passwd = '';
$db_prefix = 'smf_';
$db_persist = 0;
$db_error_send = 0;

I see some files named Dbpackages-mysql.php  in the Sources folder.  They look like this:
DbExtra-mysql.php
DbPackages-mysql.php
DbPackages-mysql.php~

Are these my database files?

[edit] password removed -Illori

Sir Osis of Liver

The database is separate from the forum files, they're not even on same server in GoDaddy accounts.  GD has a db backup utility in cpanel.  There are a couple of variants, one downloads the dump to your local computer, the other puts it in /_db_backups directory in your account root, from where you can download it.  Both work reasonably well.  You can also try exporting it with phpmyadmin, but that's a crapshoot on any shared server, moreso on GD.  Whichever method you use, dump the datasbase 2-3 times, make sure the file sizes are the same.

- R. Waters

iplan

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 03, 2018, 09:20:08 PM
The database is separate from the forum files, they're not even on same server in GoDaddy accounts.  GD has a db backup utility in cpanel.  There are a couple of variants, one downloads the dump to your local computer, the other puts it in /_db_backups directory in your account root, from where you can download it.  Both work reasonably well.  You can also try exporting it with phpmyadmin, but that's a crapshoot on any shared server, moreso on GD.  Whichever method you use, dump the datasbase 2-3 times, make sure the file sizes are the same.

Okay ~ I fond the backup database file in a /_db_backups directory (which was one of the possible places you said it would be.  Thank you.

I am a little fuzzy on the procedure from here though:
Step #1:  Download the backup database to my computer. I think this is correct....
Step #2:  I guess I upload the back up ~ somewhere ~  but I am not sure where.

Sir Osis of Liver

What is the date of the sql in /_db_backups?  Are you able to make a current backup in cpanel?  The connection error you're getting is probably due to GoDaddy screwing up the site migration from one server to another.  They started doing this past couple days, and have damaged several forums.  One lost his database, had no backup, and GD was unable to locate one in a server backup.  If you have a good, current database backup, now would be a good time to move to a better host.  If you want to stay with GD, you'll need to get updated server address and put it in your Settings.php.  They are stonewalling customers, telling them it's not their fault, but if you can get to a higher level tech they may be able to help you.

- R. Waters

iplan

Update:

I was able to talk with a GD service rep today.  He was helpful in locating a 6 month old backup data base that I was able to use to avoid a complete loss.

The problem originated when I upgraded servers 6 months ago.  I had to transfer the files from the old server to the new server.  Was told GD would do this automatically via a program cPanel uses called Soletron.  Turns out the program did not transfer the database ~ so I got by for 6 months using the database on the old hosting site (for which GD inexplicably continued to bill me until I renewed a few weeks ago caught the over billing ~ and requested a credit). 

At that point they cleared out the files on the old hosting site, and my d-Base was lost ~ save for the backup I did prior to transfer 6 months ago.

I am actively looking for recommendations on a new hosting provider. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Nice that you got to the bottom of it, but sad to hear it cost you 6 months of posts.  :-\

Quote from: iplan on January 04, 2018, 10:08:38 AM
I am actively looking for recommendations on a new hosting provider. 

Perhaps take a look at Hosts, Hosting and Commercial Services
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: