Is it possible to work around "confirm-form-resubmission"?

Started by richardwbb, January 03, 2018, 02:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

While it might not be directly Simple Machines related, I once in a while as a user of my own forum, get this message:

This does annoy me "a little" and I wonder if other people recognize this with their forum. Is it possible to make stop a browser complain with something that resembles a white screen of death (while I can get the technical explanation I assume that atleast part of my forum users don't bother to read the message), my question, is there something I can do about this browser behaviour?
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Arantor

It's not the software doing it - it's your browser.

You pressed a button that saved something and then pressed refresh (either on the browser menu or pressed F5 on your keyboard) - the browser is checking to make sure you really did want to send the data again. This is the same mechanism that browsers use to try to prevent people doing things like buying something twice by accident.

richardwbb

I can understand that this is an important mechanism, when people buy things twice (and the webshop makers maybe didn't think about that).

I also learned that Simple Machines as far as I know, always doesn't drop contents of a post which is more important. Albeit there are just a few annoyances I have, whith both browsers, they do respond with the same, to me disappointing behaviour (what might show me why that is so next time).

Maybe I'll post another one (while I probably might understand when this comes by, it is the same or a similar "technological" barrier), if the Site Admins will allow me. There is just something jerky with my forum (in the chain: hosting provider, used software, my htaccess) I am after, because that had been introduced by something that still is unknown to me and that really annoys me.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Arantor

Well, let's do the really obvious step: what, exactly, step by step, did you do before getting that screen?

richardwbb

Heh, Arantor, that does make me remember my previous issue I had with Maria-db, which has been minimized now. And also this time, I have no straight answer, but I will post here, instead of opening a new topic, when I have found  a proper way of describing, that is better then it annoys me and I feel that my browser is spoiling my user experience I have with my forum, minus, this "user has used the back button" subject I better understand now, and added with that, hearsay I have received from my users, that don't complain often, but it had to do with their user experience.

On the other hand, I did suffer a users logs in to the forum, expecting to be beamed to the requested topic or feature and being redirected to /. There is no real error I can copy and paste, nor a white screen of death. The core login gave me this issue and it took me a while to find out that it was a template related <input type="hidden" name="eb3306faf942" value="096ac857c017ad79fbdabe6a3d75a7e4"> (mainly because users have two options of logging in), later on I read several topics in this community about this, but I didn't ask inhere and say there where no topics about this subject, while I can not be 100% sure,  but I learned a lot about index.template.php and did comment out Sources/Security.php line 651 and a few lines more, while I should have been comparing my custom index.template.php with index.template.php in default.

I should go to Simple Machines 2.1, while I saw live fora on the internet doing this, while the database I am responsible for, contains technical details about cars and schematics, which the users will really miss if that gets lost. Also, I seem to be out of error messages since I also didn't kept putting modifications on it, I just know my user experience with this forum-community is a bit better then with my forum and it doesn't seem to me, to be a different hosting-setup.  Besides this browser notifications my forum is running sweet on a computer. The reason I consider Simple Machines 2.1 is that my telephone experience isn't 100 percent, (android), while an Iphone 5S (which I don't own) seem to do it. If I could be sure my database will go back to 2.0 while being upgraded to 2.1, I would already be with Simple Machines 2.1. I am aware my post is a bit hairy, but this is where I am with my forum and I follow the advice to not upgrade to beta, that might leave me without support and that I can not sell to my users. Lastly I want to say that this user experience I am having with two browsers is hard to explain but it really is different from that core login issue I now can laugh about and that I noticed what the last update (2.0.15), has been fixing, which really is showing competence in the field of php and what more.

Arantor

Quotebut I learned a lot about index.template.php and did comment out Sources/Security.php line 651 and a few lines more, while I should have been comparing my custom index.template.php with index.template.php in default.

The lines are there for a reason. If you don't understand the reason, ask. You have probably made things insecure.

QuoteI just know my user experience with this forum-community is a bit better then with my forum and it doesn't seem to me, to be a different hosting-setup

This forum is running a mostly unmodified SMF 2.0, though on a much larger server than you will be using.

richardwbb

You are right, I did forget to mention that I found out backwards that it was my SMF 2.0.14 index.template.php lacking <input type="hidden"name="hash_passwrd"
because I noticed the core login wasn't working properly. Then I rebuilt my custom index.template.php from the default theme's index.template.php, found this code difference and then I read about topics on this forum. Not the smartest way but I learned a lot about index.template.php.

On topic: It might be my isp that has been changing things, they went from regular php to FastCGI, borked my forum, repaired that. Then they went to Apache Litespeed, borked my forum, repaired that. Now I am aware that doesn't have something to do with the core login that I found out the long but self educating way, but I think I can put my finger on the 'sudden' white screens now, when they are shown by the browser, are related to user decision (mis-clicking), not 'strange things'.

So my way of finding out what was going on with the core login and my isp taking a route from regular php to FastCGI to Litespeed, I probably wrote some confusing messages. But at the moment I have no complaints about how my forum is running and of course I uncommented what I had been commenting in Security.php, I did understand I wasn't repairing but did a not recommended way of self-help, (removing conflicting code isn't a good idea I understand) so this is solved.

GigaWatt

Quote from: richardwbb on January 03, 2018, 05:54:46 PM
... it annoys me and I feel that my browser is spoiling my user experience I have with my forum ...

Try Pale Moon ;). Used it for ages, never looked back ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: richardwbb on March 10, 2018, 09:57:36 AM
So my way of finding out what was going on with the core login and my isp taking a route from regular php to FastCGI to Litespeed, I probably wrote some confusing messages. But at the moment I have no complaints about how my forum is running and of course I uncommented what I had been commenting in Security.php, I did understand I wasn't repairing but did a not recommended way of self-help, (removing conflicting code isn't a good idea I understand) so this is solved.
Marking this one solved then :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

richardwbb

Quote from: GigaWatt on March 10, 2018, 12:57:46 PM
Try Pale Moon ;). Used it for ages, never looked back ;).

Maybe I will. Now I'm having flashing images and javascript based stuff, but Firefox and Chrome don't seem to behave in the same way.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 11, 2018, 01:48:55 AM
Marking this one solved then :)

Yes, even the Site Admin 'extra login', is working again (though erratically), maybe it all has to do with my hosters configuration and not with SMF or one of it's modifications. Now I can tell the least that the issues I'm having are client based and not server based, so another browser won't hurt probably.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: richardwbb on April 01, 2018, 02:17:32 PM
Yes, even the Site Admin 'extra login', is working again (though erratically), maybe it all has to do with my hosters configuration and not with SMF or one of it's modifications. Now I can tell the least that the issues I'm having are client based and not server based, so another browser won't hurt probably.
What issues are you having with the admin login? We can still mark this unsolved if there is something we need to work on.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: