Newsletter sending limit, is this an option I can not find?

Started by richardwbb, January 03, 2018, 05:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

I've just made a Simple Machines forum newsletter. I've chosen to override users preferences, to not receive such an email/ notification and to send in html which works quite well. I've learned that for sending of the mail queue, any forum visitor, will trigger the code that is responsible for sending (while I not really know where to look for it, it also doesn't seem necessary to me)

However, I've read https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:News_and_newsletters#Settings and opened 'index.php?action=admin;area=news;sa=settings' (maintenance - email - settings) , on my forum.

There are two configuration options:
"maximum emails send per minute"
"maximum emails send per pageview"

Those are both set to 0 by me.

I just am not willing to tempt the new server of my hosting provider (or more important, loosing track with an half sent emailing), while I know on their old server, sending the email queue at once did work, the new server is a bit different setup and a bit more strict here and there.

My question:
When I look at the 'index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=browse' (email queue), I see "length of queue" and "oldest email", and by reloading the page with ctrl+r, I can tell there is a small waiting time and then there are 5 email sent. Does anyone know where this number is coming from, should I try my luck with my hoster, or might this be behaviour by design?

The reason I am asking is that it can take a while to send the whole queue this way, when a forum is not busy, also I risk that I don't know who received my newsletter and who didn't might the new server prohibit me to send at once. The real reason is that I hope to have a better solution/ configuration next time and that I am hitting ctrl+r here, which I might automate, which would work, but I prefer a clean solution if that is within my reach.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Arantor

Maximum amount per page view forces itself to 5 if you try to do a maximum of 0 (i.e. no maximum).

If you want to send more emails at a time, make the number bigger.

richardwbb

You are showing logic to me I couldn't think of myself. Solved.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Advertisement: