News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Crashed forum - how to revert back to old theme?

Started by thenakedscientists, January 04, 2018, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Nice to hear you got it working at least. :)

I haven't played around with themes a lot, but you could take a look at this Responsive Curve for Curve
or search around the theme site for a suitable theme :)

P.S.
Nice stats on the forum ;) Mine gets about 25% of the page views yours is getting. I can understand the stress. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

since you loaded fresh files did you also remove all the hooks before you started to install mods again? if not you need to do so. https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Manually_setting_a_package_installed_or_uninstalled

thenakedscientists

Thank you both; I haven't stripped the hooks yet because the present install is an interim measure; I ran out of steam once I at least restored access. That's tomorrow's job!

What I really need to do is work out how I can overlay the original files and theme to restore it to health without causing that bizarre database error; there is something about the Exodus theme in the modified format I am using that does that and I have no idea why or how. The database is clearly happy and healthy, so it must be some strange hook in the theme that does it.

Any idea where I might start looking?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That would be this theme right?
http://demo.smftricks.com/index.php?theme=68

In itself I don't think the theme has anything that would obviously explain it - you might want to try getting a fresh copy of the theme
https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2836
Install it, and test it to see if it works as is ( just don't change everyone to use it yet ) - If everything is fine and dandy,
then I'd still be inclined to say it was something in the modifications, not the theme itself.

If however it doesn't work nicely, then take a look at your server error log to see if there is anything that might explain it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

thenakedscientists

That's the theme, but I customised index.template.php to replace the top half of the screen with our own logo and drop-down. There must be something in those changes that cause the bug; I'll spend time today sniffing it out...

Thanks.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just thought I'd let you know - While that theme has a lot of small things that ( in my opinion ) need tweaking before going live on a production site, it does work just fine on 2.0.15.

I have recently installed it on my own production forum ( thanks for the tip ) due to it's great mobile compatibility,
and am now in the process of customizing it to my liking - and have not run in to any notable issues ( apart from the recent posts block on the index not working correctly. ) No errors, no breaking. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

thenakedscientists

Thanks for this update; I've tweaked things quite extensively, as you'll see if you take a look at the now-working "properly" site.

Advertisement: