Long Lasting Login Session

Started by Ewap, January 04, 2018, 06:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewap

Hi, my users, including me get automatically logged out within a space of one day or less on chrome mobile and others. Although I haven't experienced this using pc.

But my mobile browsers log me out especially after a specified threshold. I also click on always stay logged ing, but still no changes.

How do I solve this? Thanks!

SaltedWeb

Silly question but are your cookies turned on ?
In some smart phones and their browsers are not set to save cookies. I know it should be by default.
Usually these are in the privacy settings in your phone.
Especially since your PC doesn't do it is why I suggested it..
I am not a mobile expert or anything its the first thing I would check though.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Ewap

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 04, 2018, 10:11:31 PM
In some smart phones and their browsers are not set to save cookies. I know it should be by default.

Sorry, but your reply was really not needed. What's so silly about the question?

SaltedWeb

Quote from: Ewap on January 05, 2018, 07:15:03 AM

Sorry, but your reply was really not needed. What's so silly about the question?

I was saying  " I " had a silly question asking if your Cookies were on its very commonly over looked on smartphones.
I didn't say you had a silly question I was saying I did.  Anyways if you arenot staying logged in, 99% of the time its because
cookies are not saving the session and are timing out, IF your PC is operating as it should that means your SMF is not the cause and its
settings on your phone... Hope this helps as you are only providing very limited information, if this doesn't help you perhaps someone else
can send you in the right direction. Good Luck.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Ewap

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 05, 2018, 11:11:05 AM
Quote from: Ewap on January 05, 2018, 07:15:03 AM

I was saying  " I " had a silly question asking if your Cookies were on its very commonly over looked on smartphones.
I didn't say you had a silly question I was saying I did.  Anyways if you arenot staying logged in, 99% of the time its because
cookies are not saving the session and are timing out, IF your PC is operating as it should that means your SMF is not the cause and its
settings on your phone... Hope this helps as you are only providing very limited information, if this doesn't help you perhaps someone else
can send you in the right direction. Good Luck.

Haa! I see now...
So sorry, the lack of comma in your first sentence screwed up my interpretation.
Thanks, but I don't know if it's the phone, cus I register on some other forum and I don't get logged out like that of SMF.
MYBB and vanilla store my cookies very well. And I may have tampered with the default cookies settings.

I would appreciate if someone shares the original cookies setting for smf or may be that of this support forum.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Ewap on January 04, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
Hi, my users, including me get automatically logged out within a space of one day or less on chrome mobile and others. Although I haven't experienced this using pc.
When this happens, have you logged out of the same forum on a computer perhaps? Does this happen even if you only use mobile?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

drewactual

where are your sites sessions being stored?  in a file or client side? 

you can adjust, via php, the time to keep something alive (not garbaged) but it isn't going to help if a user logs out from another device and expects to remain logged on another. 

Ewap

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 08, 2018, 05:30:22 AM
When this happens, have you logged out of the same forum on a computer perhaps? Does this happen even if you only use mobile?

Yep

Quote from: drewactual on January 08, 2018, 09:08:45 AM
where are your sites sessions being stored?  in a file or client side? 
What does this mean, sorry

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Ewap on January 10, 2018, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 08, 2018, 05:30:22 AM

Yep
Yes on both? Then no wonder. If you log out of one device, your login will expire on other devices too.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: