News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Double Forum

Started by ombreto, January 04, 2018, 09:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ombreto

Hi SMF while deciding which e-forum to engage I found that I'll need two parallel boards with same topis one for members and other for guests ... I have asked for info also on ElkArte so just to skip again explaining here is a link from the discussion

elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4823.msg35206#msg35206

I am also searching way how to integrate for the guests board Voice2Text api

elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4836.msg35208#new

and finally I'll need upwote/downvote member moderation ... is it here possible to use some of these options soon?

elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1013.msg35201#msg35201

Thanks

SaltedWeb

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

ombreto

Thanks SaltedWeb for Your quick reply ...

exactly clone board, but they need to be side by side as two columns layout, so members could wright in the first and guests in the second, both visible to all, altho its clever if the second one can be used by the members too but as chat room where there will be more space for street talk ...

ombreto

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 04, 2018, 10:02:09 PM
Something like this ?
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3730

probably combination from that mod and this theme would do the trick

http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;basic_search=kahnefan

after only thing that will left is hide/unhide button for the second parallel forum or board whathever is easier to be done ...

SaltedWeb

Not knowing myself what SMF version you are running those mods may or may not work.
I would suggest highly making a backup of your SMF and DB before trying to emulate these.
Hope it works out for you.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

ombreto

maybe if they are separate forums on same layout it would be easier on the code side, instead clone boards on same db ... the idea is how to have same/identical board for members login and other for guests without login so bots wouldnt matter, tho its would be even more usefull if guests can use voice2text api so bots can just enjoy the show ...

~

there is also other way around instead this, to have live chat for/connected to every topic, eg. the mod u have sugested, but the child topic to be evoked by popup mod as chat for guests:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4096
+
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3730

~

I know that such forum rearangements are difficult for coding, if not else stability issue, but I was hoping to find simple way to link two forums on one gui, having them side by side as two columns on same screen, layout that will have side-push for the second column where guest will dont need to register to post ...

ombreto

Can I use this mod for my idea for Double Forum? having two parallel boards on same page!?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2763

Arantor

Honestly, what you're trying to do sounds so confusing that I can't imagine users would actually want to use it - and there is no mod for SMF currently that can do what I think you're trying to actually do (Dream Portal can't)

I think if someone does take this on, it's going to be a non trivial amount of work and likely to be a paid-for project.

ombreto

Thanks for Your advice Arantor ... my other option is to go with upvote/downvote system as community moderation so there could be quickly hidden any inconvinient posts, normally guests will have recaptcha clearence to post, maybe limited by ip, but still that will make mess in the discussion, still its worth a try until I find friend willing to make code for double forum, simply democracy needs diversity instead elitism when it comes to free speech, give to people right tools and rooms and they will stay all compact and growing as group ... this was probably the idea also behind chat integration in e-forums, but having them in parallel column right next to any related topic, I think will make things more usefull, as for the sake of the main debate, so as for emotional side of its participants ... if this forum that I have in mind wasnt about Marijuana Legalization I wouldnt bother at all, altho any hard talk topic forum could benifit from such mod ...

is there simmilar mode on SMF for upvote/downvote with hide/unhide post like this one

hxxp:www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2095240 [nonactive]

hxxp:www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2329296 [nonactive]

ombreto

@Arantor what will take SMF as community to come up with Double Forum layout, can at least give me clue how difficult is this to be done, is it better to go by paid custum code in this case, or to wait for help from SMF ...

Thanks

Arantor

If you want this, pay someone to build it, as I already suggested. It also likely won't come cheap.

ombreto

Thanks for all, I was trying to find workable way around instead custom coding, and eve if I pay someone for such layout, its question how stable it would be as platform, I think maybe is best to wait someone here to pick up the idea and after certain coding to get help from all the rest developers in SMF ... hm, this advice that likely wont come cheap, is demotivating, altho it could be read with positive attitude as such double forum will be innovation that will stand out for sure ...

Thanks again ... and Happy Hollidays ...

Arantor

I guarantee you no-one here is going to pick it up, because it's something that in the many years I've been using SMF (including as part of the core development team), no-one else has requested or talked about doing, precisely because it's confusing.

If you believe it can work, you will need to pay someone to build it - because I can't imagine any of the programmers here that could do the work would be interested in spending the time required to do it.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: ombreto on January 06, 2018, 08:09:42 AM
Thanks for all, I was trying to find workable way around instead custom coding, and eve if I pay someone for such layout, its question how stable it would be as platform, I think maybe is best to wait someone here to pick up the idea and after certain coding to get help from all the rest developers in SMF ... hm, this advice that likely wont come cheap, is demotivating, altho it could be read with positive attitude as such double forum will be innovation that will stand out for sure ...

Thanks again ... and Happy Hollidays ...

When I first answered your post, I thought it was something you wanted that was like the mod I suggested.
perhaps it will help you to know I am just as confused after reading the whole thread. This should also help you as if I can not make heads
or tails of the idea and I am a user of said forums software, and a developer Arantor whom by the way has made many mods as well
tells you its way out there its out there beyond any seen future. If you poke thru the Mod section where one can suggest and ask about mods you will
see many many ideas that have never made it to the showroom floor. Not trying ti burst your bubble or anything thinking outside the box is how SMF and many other even got started. But there is a difference on one having the ability to do something and then there are others trying to convince others that can't because themselves can not do them, in the financial real world that is called investors and whom pays for its is those that supply capital. Without any of those things existing it would be easier to win the lottery then get this built, and as you mention stay stable, not to mention work with future versions of  SMF that are often security fixed could break all your work.  Good luck out there!

Travel_trip

Quote from: ombreto on January 04, 2018, 09:56:20 PM
Hi SMF while deciding which e-forum to engage I found that I'll need two parallel boards with same topis one for members and other for guests ... I have asked for info also on ElkArte so just to skip again explaining here is a link from the discussion

elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4823.msg35206#msg35206

I am also searching way how to integrate for the guests board Voice2Text api

elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4836.msg35208#new

and finally I'll need upwote/downvote member moderation ... is it here possible to use some of these options soon?

elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1013.msg35201#msg35201

Thanks

It's not this one https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=download;mod=3730;id=237694;image

Travel_trip

Hi, no reply on this ?

Shambles

Quote from: Travel_trip on January 17, 2018, 07:49:55 AM
Hi, no reply on this ?

Why would anyone reply? The topic creator was happy with the solution provided and marked the topic as such

Steve

@ Travel_trip - if you have an issue please start your own thread. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Travel_trip

Hi my friends i will do  8)

Advertisement: