News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Missing pictures

Started by pocttopus, January 05, 2018, 02:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocttopus

Hello folks,

After migrating the forum from one hosting to another, there are topics with missing pictures from the posts of the members.
I had made a backup from ftp files and database but the pictures are still missing.

How can I solve this issue and return the pictures back?
Thanks!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Attachments or hotlinked images? If hotlinked, are the images actually still accessible?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

Attachments are still missing.
I am aware about hotlinked images that there is limited time when links are live/viewable.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are the files actually there? How did you move the files from one server to another?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

I downloaded the whole public_html folder and uploaded the files to the new host provider.
Avatars are fine but attachments with pictures are missing.

Arantor

You downloaded with what tool?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, did you use Filezilla? :)

If you did and if you still have access to the old server:

Connect to the old server via FTP again
In the FileZilla menu, go to Transfer -> Transfer Type and choose "Binary"
Download the attachments directory again

Connect to the new server, make sure "Transfer Type" is set to "Binary"
Upload the attachments directory again, overwriting the old files

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 05, 2018, 03:09:46 AM
OK, did you use Filezilla? :)

If you did and if you still have access to the old server:

Connect to the old server via FTP again
In the FileZilla menu, go to Transfer -> Transfer Type and choose "Binary"
Download the attachments directory again

Connect to the new server, make sure "Transfer Type" is set to "Binary"
Upload the attachments directory again, overwriting the old files

Transfer type was set to "Auto".

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, that's what I was guessing. Can you try again using Binary?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Remember: you need to use Binary both for downloading and uploading.

pocttopus

Quote from: Arantor on January 05, 2018, 03:18:54 AM
Remember: you need to use Binary both for downloading and uploading.
Thanks guys, but I didn't know that.
Now I am aware about that setting and I hope that the forum is still accessible through ftp at the old hosting provider.

I will let you know what's going on.   

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 05, 2018, 03:44:45 AM
Old issue that keeps resurfacing every now and then. :)

Important Notice: Do you use Filezilla?  Avatars and Attachments lost?
It's annoys me since I didn't know this with the setting to binary. :-[
Is there any way to avoid this, but with default setting to Auto?

Arantor

Not in SMF 2.0

We did solve it in SMF 2.1.

Sir Osis of Liver

This problem occurs due to another FZ setting which is cleverly buried in a completely different place.

Edit -> Settings -> Transfers -> File Types -> Treat files without extension as ASCII files

Attachment file names are hashed for security purposes, and extension is removed.  If transfer type is set to Auto, the hidden setting causes the attachments to be transferred as ASCII, corrupting the files.  Someone must have put in a lot of overtime thinking this up.  I believe the 2.1 fix is to just add an extension.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is true, now - it wasn't when this problem first occurred, but when fixing this, selecting binary manually will do. ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't really see the point to that setting.  All file types will transfer correctly if binary is used, so why do an ASCII transfer?  There were several schemes posted that were supposed to fix attachment files that were corrupted by ASCII transfer, but none of them worked for me.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 05, 2018, 12:16:42 PM
Don't really see the point to that setting.  All file types will transfer correctly if binary is used, so why do an ASCII transfer?  There were several schemes posted that were supposed to fix attachment files that were corrupted by ASCII transfer, but none of them worked for me.

Partly because it's faster and partly because in theory it's the right choice for text files to have compatibility (Windows Notepad doesn't support Linux line endings for example)

pocttopus

I had downloaded the "attachments" folder from the previous hosting and uploaded with Binary setting (Transfer->Transfer type->Binary), but the attachments are still missing.
On the other hand, the forum uses an SSL certificate and after the installation all the links from photobucket are not viewable but they are in the post's.
Can this be the issue for attachments too? I mean after installing the SSL?  :-\

Advertisement: