News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Missing pictures

Started by pocttopus, January 05, 2018, 02:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocttopus

Quote from: aegersz on January 10, 2018, 08:43:01 AM
is there anything in your error log that is generated when you open a post with an attachment ?

OK, the attachments don't display but do they download when you click on them AND and can you view them once downloaded ?
No, there is no error because I cannot click them. There is no links for the attachments

what happens when you create a new post and add an attachment to it -- does it then display at least for that post ?
After the migration to the new host, new attachments are fine. This is the issue only for older attachments from the previous host.

what bothers me is that you had a huge discrepancy when you fixed them via the Maintenance option - are you sure that you have the same amount of attachments in both systems ?

try to gather more symptoms and if we still get nowhere then maybe try the whole migration again ?
Yes, I click fix the errors and the list of all the attachments is shorter now. I believe that now I had lost the connection with the database to them.  :-\
Now there is no errors but there are no attachments as well displayed, only the new ones from the actual hosting.

I cannot migrate again because the old database is almost a year old. That's too long for our community.
I don't know how can I merge new post/topics with the old database. :-\

Sir Osis of Liver

The attachment links are missing from the posts?  Believe I've seen this before on a broken forum, can't remember which, but I think it got fixed.  Will have a look through my notes, see if I can find it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

pocttopus

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 10, 2018, 11:50:50 AM
The attachment links are missing from the posts?  Believe I've seen this before on a broken forum, can't remember which, but I think it got fixed.  Will have a look through my notes, see if I can find it.
Thanks @Sir Osis of Liver
You are very kind.

pocttopus

Also I had another issue with displaying images from photobucket. I don't know why are not displayed?
There is no SSL certificate, and I don't know if there is any modification who can cause this issue.  :-\
Here is the example: http://forum.mkreef.com/index.php?topic=516.msg2017#msg2017

Any advice for this too?  :-[

Arantor

There's no SSL cert but yet the image proxy is turned on and likely Photobucket notices and blocks the attempt, especially if it's not a paid account.

pocttopus

Quote from: Arantor on January 10, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
There's no SSL cert but yet the image proxy is turned on and likely Photobucket notices and blocks the attempt, especially if it's not a paid account.
Thanks, I had solved this with disabling the proxy for images.  :)

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, there are a couple of things that can cause an attachment link to disappear from a post -

Group permission to view attachments can be disabled, this is default setting for guests.  If you are viewing posts as admin, you should see the links. 

If the _attachments table in database is missing an attachment or is damaged, link will not be displayed for any users. 

If attachment file has been deleted or corrupted, or /attachments directory is missing, the link will remain, you'll get a 404 if you click on it.  Look at your _attachments table, see what's in it.

- R. Waters

pocttopus

Firstly I had to return a database backup because I had lost a connection with couple of avatars and attachments.

When I go to "Admin > Forum > Attachments and Avatars > Browse Files"  i got an error 404 - Attachment Not Found
There is attachments table in the database and there so no error when I select that.

aegersz

btw, i backup my database (mysql/InnoDB) every damn hour for 4 days on the server, clone it daily and then copy it to 2 other Intranets weekly, keep all the generations, then I rsync them to a hard drive AND Clonezilla image to another 2 hard drives !!

ABSOLUTE and TOTAL overkill but i am that precious about it.

Don't do it annually, please !

I also backup all attachments, other data and software simultaneously.

The point i am am trying to make is that you have nothing to lose with over, over, overkill.

Please devote as much time as you need to preserve your data, be it files AND database.

there is no such thing as too many backups.

my content and years in building my site must never be lost.

I hope my obsessive behaviour encourages you to avoid such personal aggravation in the future. trust noone or any single/double or even triple points of failure.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

pocttopus

Quote from: aegersz on January 11, 2018, 05:54:03 AM
btw, i backup my database (mysql/InnoDB) every damn hour for 4 days on the server, clone it daily and then copy it to 2 other Intranets weekly, keep all the generations, then I rsync them to a hard drive AND Clonezilla image to another 2 hard drives !!

ABSOLUTE and TOTAL overkill but i am that precious about it.

Don't do it annually, please !

I also backup all attachments, other data and software simultaneously.

The point i am am trying to make is that you have nothing to lose with over, over, overkill.

Please devote as much time as you need to preserve your data, be it files AND database.

there is no such thing as too many backups.

my content and years in building my site must never be lost.

I hope my obsessive behaviour encourages you to avoid such personal aggravation in the future. trust noone or any single/double or even triple points of failure.
I have enough backups from database and ftp files. Also I am testing on localhost just to be sure that everything will be fine on live. :)
I appreciate your opinion but I don't know how this would be helpful to solve the issue of missing attachments?  :-[
Are you referring that someone had made an attack to the forum?  ???

Maybe I had not made a good migrating to this new hosting because missing attachments are after migrating.  :-\

These are the errors and statistics:

Illori

your attachment folder, is it on the server with a lowercase a in attachments?

aegersz

no, you are right - it isn't helpful but i was horrified when you said that your last backup was a year old !

by contrasting that to my ridiculous other extreme, i was hoping that it would help you keep many more frequent DB+file copies so you don't have to revisit this upsetting time for you.

but you are in good hands here and i hope you get the help to restore much or if not all forum intrgrity.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

pocttopus

Quote from: aegersz on January 11, 2018, 07:40:53 AM
no, you are right - it isn't helpful but i was horrified when you said that your last backup was a year old !
Last backup from previous hosting is almost a year old, but not from current hosting.
I think this is misunderstanding.  :-\

Quote from: aegersz on January 11, 2018, 07:40:53 AM
by contrasting that to my ridiculous other extreme, i was hoping that it would help you keep many more frequent DB+file copies so you don't have to revisit this upsetting time for you.

but you are in good hands here and i hope you get the help to restore much or if not all forum intrgrity.
Yes, I have enough backups but this issue with attachments slipped before my eyes/fingers.  :-[

Quote from: Illori on January 11, 2018, 07:40:16 AM

aegersz

oh, my mistake - that gives me hope.

it does sound like possible corruption then.

wait for Sir Osis to get back to you if illori doesn't track down the error soon.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can rename /attachments directory, or delete it entirely, broken links will remain.  He's not seeing the links.

@pocttopus - Can you dump smf_attachments table and attach it here?

- R. Waters

pocttopus

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 11, 2018, 03:12:09 PM

You can rename /attachments directory, or delete it entirely, broken links will remain.  He's not seeing the links.

@pocttopus - Can you dump smf_attachments table and attach it here?
Here it is: https://mega.nz/#!VpVzHJrT!PnLpVslQwmU7PeGKTMzsH8QUmgj78pTAsdXY0riyKMg

Sir Osis of Liver

Will take a look at it tonight.

- R. Waters

pocttopus

Thanks @Sir Osis of Liver, you are very kind and I appreciate your dedication for help me.  :)

Sir Osis of Liver

There are several things not quite right in your smf_attachments, but I'm not able to duplicate the problem on a test install. 

- The first 500 rows are missing file_hash, the field is blank.  These would be the 500 oldest attachments.  Deleting the field on test install does not remove link in post, it goes 404.

- There's a duplicate index, attachment_type and attachmentType, that shouldn't cause a problem.

- There's no PRIMARY index, it should be id_attach, but removing it as PRIMARY on test install does not affect attachment in post.

- As mentioned earlier, deleting the attachment from /attachments, or renaming or deleting directory, does not remove link.

Only thing I can find that deletes the link from a post is deleting id_attach for that attachment, but that column is populated in your table.  I'm also not seeing anything that would explain why new attachments are working.  Only thing I can suggest is do a clean install in another directory, copy over /attachments, connect it to the database, run repair_settings, see what you get.

- R. Waters

pocttopus

Thanks @Sir Osis of Liver
I will try and inform you all what happened.

Thanks again! :)

Advertisement: