News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

board access only for certain members

Started by legaziofunk, January 05, 2018, 08:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legaziofunk

Dear SM-community,

I am sure, there is an answer to my issue, but I believe to be on the wrong track of "thinking" the "logic" of SM when it comes to rights, user groups, and boards. Hence, my search attempts lead into voids...

Here is my question and my way of "thinking" it:

I just recently set up SM 2.0.15 - thanks for providing such an easy way to set it up!

NOW: I am aiming to set up a forum structure that contains several boards where ony certain users will have access to.

These very users are supposed to

• see all boards
  • but can only access very specific boards that are assigned to them

I thought, I do it like this:
I set up all boards, then I assign the very boards inidividually to the every user that is supposed to see it.

BUT: I believe, this is not the way to do it. It seems, this has to work via "usergroups" and their rights. But I am really baffled when it comes to this issue, since all new rights I am setting up are somewho linked to the "normal user-profile".

I am sorry, since I believe that this issue is easy to resolve - but I just can't find the right "path" to look into this issue.

Please, help me rethink the problem!

Gracias!

Lega
*I am a NEWBIE* Stats as of Dec. 2019
SMF: 2.0.15
Language: GERMAN UTF-8 by default for every user
Theme: CoreTheme
PHP: 7.2
MySQL Version: 5.6.45-86.1-log

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

By default, SMF hides areas you cannot access. It is designed that way, and will not do otherwise without modification.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 05, 2018, 08:28:30 AM
By default, SMF hides areas you cannot access. It is designed that way, and will not do otherwise without modification.

but if you are in the regular members group and another additional group plus a post count group, you will gain access to boards that all those groups have access to.

legaziofunk

Quote from: Illori on January 05, 2018, 08:32:18 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 05, 2018, 08:28:30 AM

but if you are in the regular members group and another additional group plus a post count group, you will gain access to boards that all those groups have access to.

Hey guys,

thanx fpr the quick response - but it does not help me at all, since I have no clue what you're talking about.

Any hints?

Illori

then lets start with this, tell us exactly how you want this setup? what group or groups is the user in and what boards or boards can they see or not see?

legaziofunk

Hey Illori,

thanx!

Here is the basic structure of the forum, which is for a club:

1. Main categories and boards: mainly "task forces" (Arbeitsgruppen/working groups - that whole thing is in German)
This will most likely contain several sub-categories and sub-boards, but is not finalized, yet and is supposed to "grow" over time, depending on the issues touched by the club.

2. board of executives: This very board is supposed to be visible to everybody BUT NOT to accessed by every member. Only members of the board are supposed to be in it.
It will have several sub-boards that have to be defined, yet (e.g. memberlist w/ addresses and phone numbers, amongst others...).

Therefore, I figured, I'll create a user group called "members of the board" (German: Vereinsvorstand) that will be - for now - the only group with access to all boards. And then, there is the "normal user".

Here is a table, which, I hope, will depict what I am aiming for.

GroupCan see boards/visibiltyAccess to boardscan take actions: read/write/poll
executives
all
all
all
Normal members
all
limited (not executive board)
all

Besides: I just realized, that the main info in the Wiki (https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Membergroups) is missing, that refers to the "how do I assign the membership to a group to a forum member"?
Where can I find this??

Kindred

By default, a user can not see anyth8ng that they do not have permission to do.

So, if a user has permission to read a board, they can see that board.
If they can't read the contents, then They can't see the board, at all.

If you want to show them the board title, but not the contents, then you would need a mod for that.

Permissions for groups is read and/or write(new) and/or reply... (although giving permission to write to a board without read access is odd and confusing.)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: