News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Terms of Use dissappear when copied and pasted

Started by legaziofunk, January 05, 2018, 10:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legaziofunk

Version(s) of SMF: 2.0.15

Your Setup:
        List any Modifications you have installed: none
        List any Themes you have installed: Theme is Startaza
        List any non-English Language packs you have installed: German
        Are you using UTF-8? Don't know.
        Any other related information? Not to my knowledge.
        What caching level are you using? Don't know.

Server Software:
        Apache/IIS version?: Don't know.
        PHP version?: 7.0
        Database type and version: MySQL Version 5.6.37-82.2-log
        Any other related server information? Don't know.

Where the Error Occurred
        File: Members > regstritation management > Editing terms of use (my translation: I'm using the German language pack)
        Line:
        Any relevant errors in the SMF error log (if so please post them)?: nope

How to Reproduce this Error?:
I did look up a German user agreement online and copied the text into the text field.
After saving, the field is blank - but the text seems to show up when a new user wants to register for the forum.
The problem is, I can not edit the text properly in line, because it's simply not there. I assue this to be a bug since license/terms iof use agreements are usually long and should be edited individually.

Additional Information? nope.
*I am a NEWBIE* Stats as of Dec. 2019
SMF: 2.0.15
Language: GERMAN UTF-8 by default for every user
Theme: CoreTheme
PHP: 7.2
MySQL Version: 5.6.45-86.1-log

SaltedWeb

You can edit the file in your root called agreement.txt .
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

legaziofunk

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 05, 2018, 11:28:49 AM

Thanx.

But with all due respect: I'd call that a work around - not a real solution to the problem at hand.

It makes asbolutely no sense to me, why the afore inserted text, though saved, disappears the moment I hit the "save" button.

Besides: When editing this .txt-file with TextEdit on Mac, it appears that some characters (like ü, ä, ö - yup, German Umlaute, cosidered as special characters) do not seem to go well after being uploaded. Why? I have no clue... but just another thing that makes the whole process even more complicated. AND: what do I do when I am not at home but need to edit this text from another computer, where I do not have my ftp-prorgram running....?

Just my five cents...

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SaltedWeb

Quote from: legaziofunk on January 05, 2018, 07:10:40 PM
Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 05, 2018, 11:28:49 AM

Just trying to give you a quick fix until you solved it, my bad I had assumed you would have tried the UTF8 change that wold be needed.
Good luck..

Thanx.

But with all due respect: I'd call that a work around - not a real solution to the problem at hand.

It makes asbolutely no sense to me, why the afore inserted text, though saved, disappears the moment I hit the "save" button.

Besides: When editing this .txt-file with TextEdit on Mac, it appears that some characters (like ü, ä, ö - yup, German Umlaute, cosidered as special characters) do not seem to go well after being uploaded. Why? I have no clue... but just another thing that makes the whole process even more complicated. AND: what do I do when I am not at home but need to edit this text from another computer, where I do not have my ftp-prorgram running....?

Just my five cents...
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

legaziofunk

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 05, 2018, 10:08:30 PM
I had assumed you would have tried the UTF8 change that wold be needed.
Good luck..

I had bad luck. At least partly.

Changing to UTF-8 did change the appearance of German Umlaute ä, ö, ü into � - at least under FireFox 57.0.4 (Mac).

Under http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme it says to run the query:

UPDATE smf_members
SET lngfile = CONCAT(lngfile, '-utf8')
WHERE lngfile != ''

I do not know how to do this (run a query) AND am not sure, if this is needed.

Funny enough: Under Safari 9.1.3 the letters are displayed correctly.
So, is this a mere FF problem??

BUT: Also under Safari, I do have the initial problem: I am not seeing the terms of use of the forum.
Also after I pasted them into the text field and saved it.

AND: The agreement.txt file could NOT be opened under Mac App "TextEdit":
"Das Dokument ,,agreement.txt" konnte nicht geöffnet werden. Die Textcodierung ,,Unicode (UTF-8)" kann nicht angewendet werden."
Which means: The file could not be opned because "Unicode (UTF-8)" cannot be applied.

I am lost...

legaziofunk

It is getting eben weirder (at least from my newbie point of view):

After a couple of minutes, the strange �  symbol dissappeared... Why that?

legaziofunk

Quote from: legaziofunk on January 17, 2018, 06:10:12 AM

...and now, the � is back again.

Is UTF-8 the right thing to do?

I did set this (German UTF-8) as the default language of the forum - and no individual options, since only German speaking people will use it anyways.

shawnb61

Yes, utf8 is definitely the right thing to do.    The question is how you did it. 

Did you use the SMF UTF8 conversion function in the admin console?   Or some other method?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

legaziofunk

Quote from: shawnb61 on January 18, 2018, 03:53:50 PM
Yes, utf8 is definitely the right thing to do.    The question is how you did it. 

Did you use the SMF UTF8 conversion function in the admin console?   Or some other method?

I used the administration > configuration > languages > adding resp. edit

Is that what you're talking about?

legaziofunk

Quote from: legaziofunk on January 18, 2018, 08:53:56 AM
Quote from: legaziofunk on January 17, 2018, 06:10:12 AM

...and now, the � is back again.

Is UTF-8 the right thing to do?

I did set this (German UTF-8) as the default language of the forum - and no individual options, since only German speaking people will use it anyways.

I seem to have figuered it out:

Chronologically, I configuered the (a couple!) boards first.

THEN I changed the language.

I assumed - wrongly, as it turned out - that language changes are global and will affect ANY aspect of the board.

Well, apparently not!
I realized, (man, how to put this?) standard boxes, windows, texts etc. that have been translated by the community and are part of the language version you are running your SMF with, are displayed correctly. E.g. "ungelesene Beiträge" ("unread messages/posts") at the top of any category, was displayed correctly. But the individual board titles were NOT!

Well, the board titles, of course, were set by myself manually. While "unread posts" is definitely a system generated term.

THEN I wanted to change/edit the boards! After I opened Admin > Forum > administer boards (sorry, I am translating this from my German version), the very boards which where displayed incorrectly with � didn't even show anything AT ALL in their text windows.

So, I entered the texts and the board names anew. Saved it - and: Voila! It worked!
NOW, also after re-entering the board-editing menu, the texts and board names were visible!

THIS in turn reminded me of the initial problem of not having seen the registration/terms of use text!

I hope, this all makes sense to anybody! LOL

SaltedWeb

Or you could have "  You can edit the file in your root called agreement.txt . "
as originally mentioned and avoided two weeks of poking and prodding to each their own. :-X

legaziofunk

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 19, 2018, 11:05:57 AM
Or you could have "  You can edit the file in your root called agreement.txt . "
as originally mentioned and avoided two weeks of poking and prodding to each their own. :-X

Is this a joke?
Are you making fun of me?
Did you read the entire thread - carefully?

Steve

Let's not get personal, either one of you.

Quote from: legaziofunk on January 19, 2018, 10:37:40 AMI seem to have figuered it out: ...

Marking solved then. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, by all means, mark this unsolved and let us know. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

legaziofunk

The above metnioned "problem" of editing the Agreement.txt file has showed another issue for me:

How to put Hyperlinks into the agreemtent text?

Yup, it might be sloightyl off this initial topic here, but it still has to do with the agreement text - and since onlin editing does not work alright (as mentioned in my post as THE initial problem), I am adding this here.

What do I want?

I want a hyperlink in the agreement to point to a newly opening webpage/window where the data regluations are stored on a different webpage.

I thought, I might sove this by using html:

<p>Text <a ref=,,http://domain/root/imprint-file-where-it-all-is-written-down.php">this is the text that explains what you're about to click fr</a> and further text.</p>

But what happens is, I just get a text line that sports a underscore when hovering over - but no active link.

I guess, HTML might be the wrong angle here....

Any ideas?

Bigguy

Should this:

<a ref=

Not be this:

<a href=

Or was that done on purpose in your post. ??

legaziofunk

Quote from: Bigguy on June 06, 2018, 07:44:32 AM
Should this:

<a ref=

Not be this:

<a href=

Or was that done on purpose in your post. ??

Oh, god!

Thanx.... Sorry for this stupid question.... LOL

Bigguy

Advertisement: