News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Wrong PM showing when opened

Started by TheEngineer, January 09, 2018, 04:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEngineer

Hi everyone!

We are running v2.0.14 and some of our users are seeing a strange issue with their personal messages.  If they click on the newest message of a conversation from their inbox they don't see the newest message, rather they see an older message.  I've tried running the maintenance tasks, but it didn't help (I didn't expect it to, but hoped it might).

I'm not sure what is causing the issue or if this is a known problem with a solution.  I wanted to upgrade us to v2.1.x but our hosting provider won't upgrade our MySQL(never use hostgator!) so we need to switch to a new host.  In the meanwhile, I'd like to get this resolved.  Appreciate any pointers!

Kindred

Have your host turn off the caching - probably varnish or something like that

Also, unless you know exactly hat you are doing and are capable of hand-modifying code, etc -- do not install 2.1 on a production site
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheEngineer

Thanks!  I'll ask them to turn off caching.

I tried to do a fresh install of 2.1 on its own and planned to move the data over after it was successfully working.  Couldn't even get that far...

TheEngineer

Somewhat unsurprisingly, HostGator has no idea what to do and blames the forum software. >:(

Anything I can try on my side that doesn't require their intervention?

TheEngineer

One of my users just reported that the problem resolves if he sorts messages from oldest to newest (oldest on top).  If he switches it to newest on top, the problem comes back.  Just wanted to add that bit of information.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheEngineer

I had Enhanced PMs installed, but no other PM mods.  I deleted it to upgrade to 2.0.15.

The url is http://www.delreefclub.org/smf

lurkalot

Quote from: TheEngineer on January 11, 2018, 12:38:22 PM

I had Enhanced PMs installed, but no other PM mods.  I deleted it to upgrade to 2.0.15.

Did you actually delete it? or did you Uninstall it?

TheEngineer

Quote from: lurkalot on January 11, 2018, 01:23:06 PM

Fair question and poorly chosen words by me.  I uninstalled it.

lurkalot

Quote from: TheEngineer on January 11, 2018, 01:29:06 PM
Quote from: lurkalot on January 11, 2018, 01:23:06 PM

Fair question and poorly chosen words by me.  I uninstalled it.

No problem, thought I'd ask as deleting instead of uninstalling can cause major problems.   ;)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I had Enhanced PMs installed, but no other PM mods. 
Did the uninstallation go without errors?
Are you using Curve or a custom theme?
What mods do you have installed right now?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Quote from: TheEngineer on January 10, 2018, 10:29:50 AM
One of my users just reported that the problem resolves if he sorts messages from oldest to newest (oldest on top).  If he switches it to newest on top, the problem comes back.  Just wanted to add that bit of information.

This sounds like Varnish. I'd definitely be going back to your host about this.

Advertisement: