If I change my email address (potential problems)

Started by Ichika, January 03, 2018, 07:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichika

If I change my email address and it won't validate is there a way to recover? I'm afraid I'll change it, get no validation email, then be locked out. The domain is outlook.jp [nofollow].

Also, if that is the same as one of the accounts I created but can't validate, will it allow me to use that same email address?

I'm worried that if I change my email address I'll get locked out and have no way to recover. I would like to know in advance before I try it so that I won't have to use the info@ email address to get help to get my account back.

It caused such a mess when I first tried to create an account that I'm worried I'll get into another mess. Currently I am using friends email address but I can't do this forever. Not when I turn on notifications.

Also does the forum staff purge unvalidated accounts at some interval? If so then I can get my desired display name next time they purge because it appears the accounts I created are never going to be validated.

Illori

if an email address is in use by another account no you cannot use it.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ichika

Well the short reply is that I changed my email address to my Outlook.JP [nofollow] address and never got any validation email. I was locked out and no way to recover.

But I think some admin took pity on me after I sent an email to info@ and I'm now back on the forum!

My only problem now is I would like to change my username (display name) to my name in Japanese but those mistaken accounts will block that...

Perhaps my nice admin deleted the accounts, or if not I wonder if SMF has a policy of deleting accounts awaiting activation If my other ac****** with  イチカ is purged then I can change my display name. If not I guess Ill just have to live with it and move on. Perhaps I can find a dffferent translaton that will be just as gobeod or maybe even better.

Mean time I worked an all night shift and want to get to bed.

My only final question is, does SMF staff periodaclly delete unvalidated accounts, and if so what is the schedule?

Thank you all! :)

Kindred

No... in general, accounts are not deleted on any schedule
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ichika

Is there any chance that the account I mistakenly created with the username イチカ could be deleted, so that it would free me to use that as my display name?

Everything else is fine now, correct email address etc. No longer need my friend's email address.

Thank you whoever fixed that for me. I got the reply from the info@ email but I never did get any validation email on my current email address. And yes I did check my spam folder. Since the first time I found the info@ reply in my junk mail I clicked "not junk" and now all the SMF emails go to my inbox.

Thank you again whoever helped me. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ichika

No but he did help me change my email so I don't have to use my friends email address. Thank you Core!

When I try to change my username to イチカ  I get this:

QuoteThe following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:

The selected username/display name has already been taken.

I guess I'll try in a few months and maybe by then it will have been deleted.

Thank you again. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK then, perhaps I misunderstood or CoreISP didn't get it quite right.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

LiroyvH

Probably the latter, I'll have another look at it one of these days.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Ichika

Thank you again for fixing my email problem Core! :)

Kindred

We do not delete accounts.
If you want an account deleted, you need to prove that it is your account... I believe that coreisp already told you that.
The only way we accept that is if you send an email from the email address used to create that account.

Otherwise, the account will NOT be deletdx
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: