syntax error, unexpected 'll' (T_STRING), expecting ')'

Started by BellGab.com, January 11, 2018, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BellGab.com

I'm getting the following error when submitting a newly created topic or using the admin setting search feature:

Attached is an image of the error being displayed (second attachment).  I find it odd there is no entry for this in the SMF error log.  I also can find nothing that appears connected to this in the cPanel error log.

I found another topic which seems to address a similar error, but in this instance it tells where the error exists and in my case there's no mention of where the error exists:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=414842.msg2892715#msg2892715

I have uninstalled numerous mods in an attempt to track the issue down.  No success.

Days ago, I performed a clean installation of the forum software and then subsequently reinstalled most of the mods that were being used previously.  The most recent mod I reinstalled was the OneAll Social Login mod.  As I was uninstalling mods today to troubleshoot this, I uninstalled OneAll and then when I went to reinstall it immediately after, the reinstall failed.  See the first attachment.  Is that a clue?  I don't know if the error coincided with my reinstallation of OneAll after the clean SMF reinstall.  I only noticed the error today.  OneAll recently updated their SMF mod, and the updated version is what I installed after the clean SMF reinstall.  I wonder if that could be connected to this.

Colin

You are going to have to manually install that modification when the automatic installation fails. Continuing with the installation procedure and not doing the manual edits will inevitably lead to errors such as the one that you have just encountered. Here are some instructions on how to make the required edits that were failing:

Manual Installation of Mods
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

BellGab.com

Quote from: Colin on January 11, 2018, 09:59:38 PM
You are going to have to manually install that modification when the automatic installation fails. Continuing with the installation procedure and not doing the manual edits will inevitably lead to errors such as the one that you have just encountered. Here are some instructions on how to make the required edits that were failing:

Manual Installation of Mods

Thanks for the reply.

What's odd is I uninstalled that mod with no issues, checked to see if it fixed the error (it didn't), and then immediately went back to reinstall it and the installation failed.  I can't understand why it would fail to install immediately after it had been successfully uninstalled when no changes were made in the interim.  Either way, I can't say if it's the cause of the error which continues despite the OneAll mod being gone.

BellGab.com

Update:
The error is also happening when people reply, but not every time.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: BellGab.com on January 11, 2018, 09:36:10 PM
I'm getting the following error when submitting a newly created topic or using the admin setting search feature:

Attached is an image of the error being displayed (second attachment).  I find it odd there is no entry for this in the SMF error log.  I also can find nothing that appears connected to this in the cPanel error log.

There should be a more specific error somewhere. That's a PHP parse error, and most commonly those should end up in the server error log, and should include a reference to the file causing the error. That would be a good starting point to find out how to fix this.
Basically the cause for this is usually a file edit gone wrong.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

I believe that mod has caused problems on other forums, some of the mod code may be doubled or damaged if you installed/uninstalled/reinstalled.  You can try removing the code manually, or go back to a clean install and reinstall all mods except that one, see if it fixes problem.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

BellGab.com

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 12, 2018, 10:45:15 AM
Quote from: BellGab.com on January 11, 2018, 09:36:10 PM

There should be a more specific error somewhere. That's a PHP parse error, and most commonly those should end up in the server error log, and should include a reference to the file causing the error. That would be a good starting point to find out how to fix this.
Basically the cause for this is usually a file edit gone wrong.

yeah, that's what i thought, but i looked in the server log and couldn't find anything.  so odd.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 12, 2018, 12:37:47 PM
I believe that mod has caused problems on other forums, some of the mod code may be doubled or damaged if you installed/uninstalled/reinstalled.  You can try removing the code manually, or go back to a clean install and reinstall all mods except that one, see if it fixes problem.

i think this is going to have to be the path forward.  updating to the latest oneall mod seems to be the common denominator here.

BellGab.com

Advertisement: