Core Feature - "Paid Subscriptions"

Started by RFD, January 12, 2018, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

If subscription worked correctly using personal account on same install where business account failed, then problem is on PayPal's end.  Forum is sending postback for verification, PP is not returning verification.  Subscription will show as pending. 

In early 2018, we will conduct brief rounds of testing which will emulate the upgraded security experience so that merchants can understand the areas of their integration that still require work.

It's possible they've implemented security upgrades on business accounts, not on personal.  In better days, PP had merchant support which was separate from general support, and was quite good.  They were able (and willing) to trace individual transactions and determine why they failed.  You could give them txn_id from ipn dump, and they'd use that for trace.  The link I have still works, you can give it a try -

PayPal Merchant Technical Support - http://www.paypal.com/mts
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

RFD

SOL, i do appreciate yer time and efforts in assisting with this issue, that's become more of a conundrum at least for me.  as i previously posted ...

Quote... all paid subscription tests from the bpgang SMF 2.0.13 forum to both business (tradmla) and personal (bpgang) paypal accounts work perfectly and upon immediate paypal completion go active ...

at this point, i don't have a clue what's screwing up, let alone why.  but i will take it up with PP at their MTS support - much obliged for the link, Sir (OL).   8)

Sir Osis of Liver

Is the same business account working on one forum and failing on another?

- R. Waters

RFD

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 16, 2018, 06:02:56 PM
Is the same business account working on one forum and failing on another?

yes.  works on bpgang, fails on tradmla.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's different.  Both installs are 2.0.13?  Personal account works on both, business account works on one, fails on other?  Both http?  On same host?

- R. Waters

RFD

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 16, 2018, 06:11:05 PM
That's different.  Both installs are 2.0.13?  Personal account works on both, business account works on one, fails on other?  Both http?  On same host?

verified - yes to all.  to prove it, i'll do another test tomorrow early morn and grab the screenshots.

Sir Osis of Liver

Post the ipn dumps as text, my eyes are shot and can't see the screenshots very well.

- R. Waters

RFD

RFD

this is beginning to make even less sense ....

Sir Osis of Liver

Just did a subscription from clean 2.0.15 http test install to your PP account [email protected], sub activated without error.  Only discrepancy is start date is Dec 2015, end date is correct.  Going offline, will be back on tonight.

- R. Waters

RFD

so ... you used an SMF 2.0.15 forum, with paid subscriptions enabled, set tradmla as the paypal recipient, enabled a subscription that was completed by the tradmla paypal that issued the IPN to set the subscription in your forum to "active". 

if 2.0.15 is the fix, i'm at 5.3 right now and awaiting the move to a mysql server with 5.5, maybe by next week.  then i can upgrade SMF and see how it goes.

concerned over yer subscription's 2015 start date - weird and not expected.

much obliged,
r.

Sir Osis of Liver

Should work in earlier SMF versions.  IPN is not the problem, you're receiving that, but verification is failing.  Transaction makes two round trips to/from PayPal.  Forum posts transaction to PayPal, PP posts ipn to forum, forum posts verification code back to PP, PP posts verification to forum.  There were some changes made to paid subs in 2.1.14 or .15 to comply with PP's new security protocols, bad start date indicates something was broken, but subscription works normally on one of your forums and my test install, that would indicate the problem is in the forum where it doesn't work, not on PP's end.  Will look through the code soon as I get a chance and see what's been changed, but subscription should activate on all of your forums.

- R. Waters

RFD

man, i really need paid subscriptions to work, it's one big reason i recommended the TMA org go with SMF for their forum software ... whatever it takes, and whatever i can do to help make it happen.

Sir Osis of Liver

There are at least a couple of glitches in play here, but your PayPal business account seems to be handling paid subs transactions correctly.  There were a few code updates in subscriptions.php and Subscriptions-PayPal.php from 2.0.10 -> .15, none from 2.0.13 -> .15, and afaik, there aren't any mods that touch either of those files (there shouldn't be).  The tweaked files I gave you are 2.0.15, and subs activate normally on my .15 test install using those files.  The business account is working on one of your forums, so something's not right with the install that's having the problem.  If you can pm admin and ftp access to both forums, I'll have a look.  Don't believe the start date problem is related to the activation fails, will see if I can replicate it on sandbox account and track it down.  I may be doing additional test subs to your PP account, don't bother refunding the $.10 (a dime's not worth ****** anymore :P).

- R. Waters

RFD

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 18, 2018, 03:48:34 PM
There are at least a couple of glitches in play here, but your PayPal business account seems to be handling paid subs transactions correctly.  There were a few code updates in subscriptions.php and Subscriptions-PayPal.php from 2.0.10 -> .15, none from 2.0.13 -> .15, and afaik, there aren't any mods that touch either of those files (there shouldn't be).  The tweaked files I gave you are 2.0.15, and subs activate normally on my .15 test install using those files.  The business account is working on one of your forums, so something's not right with the install that's having the problem.  If you can pm admin and ftp access to both forums, I'll have a look.  Don't believe the start date problem is related to the activation fails, will see if I can replicate it on sandbox account and track it down.  I may be doing additional test subs to your PP account, don't bother refunding the $.10 (a dime's not worth ****** anymore :P).

pm sent to ya ....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Any updates on this? Have you been able to find out what was causing this?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

RFD

extensive testing done and all failed with SMF 2.0.13 - need testing with SMF 2.0.15 and that requires moving my domain to a php 5.5 server, which is in the process of happening ...........

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Best guess is it's a php 5.2 problem.  Both his business and personal PayPal accounts work fine on 2.0.15 test install in php 5.6.33, and on OP's other 2.0.13 forum in php 5.3.29.  Problem is with 2.0.13 forum running in php 5.2.17.  Payment is successful, ipn is received, but verification fails.  Waiting for php upgrade.

- R. Waters

RFD

ok, took quite awhile but the domain is now on a new php 5.5 server as of this afternoon.  tomorrow i'll do the 2.0.13 to 2.0.15 upgrade, then test out the paid subscriptions.  it appears that the upgrade will require all the hack packages to be reinstalled, too.  i hope the upgrade won't change any of the SMF configuration settings i had set for the board.

Advertisement: