Forum not sending emails (but it used to....)

Started by Thotos, January 16, 2018, 06:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thotos

Hello all experts  ;) :)  As you would have seen from a different post (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558004.0) I had my forum totally killed by Godaddy who migrated the database server and dropped most of the database tables in doing so. And even worse, they had no backups prior to the migration.  So I re-created my forum on a different host (Netfirms) and used what was left in the Godaddy database to create the same forum boards. I decided to create the 'new' forum using SMF 1.1.21 and while I think most of you will tell me that was the wrong decision, I did so as I wanted the forum to at least look the same as before with my customised theme which was not compatible with the  version 2.0.15. You can see the forum at http://www.lanciagammaforum.com.

Because I imported the tables from the old Godaddy database to the new database to get the look the same, I had to do quite a bit of manual tweaking to the settings to get the remnants of the old database to sit comfortably with the new database and server.

My problem now is with emails not being sent out by the forum. This used to work when I first set up the forum as I was getting email notifications of new members joining but I realised last night that it no longer works. It's probably something I've done but I don't understand how the default - PHP(Default) emails work. Are there any settings? Is it a specific PHP file that sends out the emails that might have incorrect settings?

I also tried setting up SMTP emails and while I am sure the settings are correct (work fine in Outlook on my PC) the forum is still not sending out emails. Is there a setting that I might have changed in error? Anything else anyone can suggest that I can check?

I'm going to try again with a different SMTP server but any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Thotos

This is rather ironic   ::)
I've used a Godaddy SMTP server and it works!   :o

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17 January 2018 00:57
To: [email protected]
Subject: Welcome to Lancia Gamma Forum

You are now registered with an account at Lancia Gamma Forum, Test2!

Your account's username is Test2 and its password is xxxxxxxx (which can be changed later.)

Before you can login, you first need to activate your account. To do so, please follow this link:

http://lanciagammaconsortium.info/smf1021/index.php?action=activate;u=40;code=7b144b396a

Should you have any problems with activation, please use the code "7b144b396a".

Regards,
The Lancia Gamma Forum Team.

aegersz

FYI - this is what PHP mail does basically ...

<?php

$mail 
mail("[email protected]""wahahahahahaahahahahaa","I like spamming your inbox!!!""From: Myself<[email protected]");
if(!
$mail){
        echo 
'mail is not sent!';
} else {
        echo 
'mail is sent :-)';
}
?>

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: