Moving Message Board between Domains

Started by Over~drive, November 15, 2017, 01:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over~drive

I have just been asked to look at a Message Board version SMF 2.0.12 for the first time, and need some help moving it on to a new domain.

Is there some simple step by step instructions?

I have copied and ftp'd the Board to the new Domain, and saw the Topic below regarding a similar move, but could not follow the response.

Over~drive

Thanks for this.

So I have already done Step 1.

Step 2 - Move your forum's database from the old host to the new host.  This I assume means the database is outside of the forum folder files ? If so what would they be called so I can identify them please.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Over~drive on November 15, 2017, 06:38:42 PM
Thanks for this.

So I have already done Step 1.

Step 2 - Move your forum's database from the old host to the new host.  This I assume means the database is outside of the forum folder files ? If so what would they be called so I can identify them please.

Yes, the database is a whole separate critter in a different location from your .php source files, you will need to do a manual download of all tables from the old host company cpanel area where they are stored and then import them into the the new host company cpanel area tools for MySql databases.
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Black Tiger

Greetings, Black Tiger

Over~drive

Thanks for responses, looks as though this is going to be a little more involved than I was led to believe!

David

Black Tiger

Nah it's really peanuts. You'll see it once you've done it. ;)
You just have to pay good attention to what you're doing, that's all, but it's not a lot of work.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Over~drive on November 16, 2017, 06:32:15 AM
Thanks for responses, looks as though this is going to be a little more involved than I was led to believe!

David

Having done it more than most, I can attest that the key is to get a solidly accurate and reliable downloaded backup of the database before you change anything...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Over~drive

OK so in the Control Panel of my old domain I am faced with 3 SQl Databases for the Forum, with a UserId and Password which nobody seems to know!
There does not seem to be anything outside of the DB with an option to Export - do I need to be able to log in to each database to find an Export option ?

Dzonny

You should have just one database for the forum, so it's more likely the other 2 is just old database or backups.

It depends of your control panel if you're able to download backup of database through panel itself, or you must use phpMyAdmin.
If you have option to export specific database from there - you should use it. Otherwise, try finding phpMyAdmin and login with your database info (you can find your database name, username and password inside your Settings.php file), and then choosing the Export option from there. Please follow the instruction provided here:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

Over~drive

Thanks for all help thus far.  Things have been moving slowly, All files from the old Forum and a new database is now on the new Domain.
But I am now faced with an error, after inputting UserID and password.

'The requested URL /forum/login2/ was not found on this server'

I can see in the LoginOut.php file this looks like a Cookie Authentication error?  but now am lost!

Illori

do you use prettyURLs? if so you need to post that mods support topic for further assistance.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi Over~Drive, have you been able to figure this out? If not, a link to your forum or a list of installed mods, might help us help you further.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: