News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to reduce free space?

Started by bharat, January 17, 2018, 04:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bharat

Is it possible to reduce the amount of free space between the messages, otherwise you have to scroll to be able to read the next answer.

aegersz

can you be more specific ?

i'm sure that with some customisation, almost anything is possible ... are these blank lines put in by posters, between the standard SMF delimiters or something else ?

i have seen "reddit" like formatted SMF sites, if i am not mistaken but they were custom themes.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

bharat

I mean that there is no space between message on this site but we have a lot of free space and it be able to real next message you have to scroll. Even if you hide signatures, avatars, awards it still looks the same, is there a way to reduce this space? Please see attachment.

Gwenwyfar

That free space is because you have so many custom images in your profile area. Either remove them or move them to the signature area.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

bharat

Can you please tell me how can I move them to signature area? I would like to move awards as well but not sure if it can be possible.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Where are the images from?
If they are added by a mod, then for mod Related Questions it is best to ask the mod author.

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 17, 2018, 02:38:29 PM
If they are added by a mod, then for mod Related Questions it is best to ask the mod author.

They're all awards...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Arantor on January 17, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 17, 2018, 02:38:29 PM

They're all awards...

Ah... I see. Well, that's a lot of awards.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

bharat

Even if I hide all awards still there is a lot of space between the messages.

Gwenwyfar

Everything you have displaying in the profile info will add to vertical space. You'll have to decide what do you really want keep there or not. Some of the information could be "condensed" so it uses less space (like gender), but that would require manual modifications in the code.

In any case you won't be able to get rid of all empty space on short messages unless you have almost nothing under the profile area. Your last reply is such an example...

landyvlad

Possibly the way your award mod works is that 'hiding' the awards does exactly that - doesn't show them - makes them invisible, but they are still 'there' so space is still allocated to them.

Just a thought.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

bharat

So the only way to remove awards mod?

Gwenwyfar

I think I misread what you said earlier. Could you link to your forum?

And how exactly are you "hiding" things? Normally removing any of them will free up space, unless they are still there, or there is something else setting that space.

bharat

Here is the link to the forum: http://www.forum.bharatconnect.net

The only thing which takes space are member awards, in the settings I can choose not to show them in profile that's what I tried to do earlier.

Gwenwyfar

Topics are blocked to guests :P

QuoteThe only thing which takes space are member awards, in the settings I can choose not to show them in profile that's what I tried to do earlier.
And that should reduce the empty space. Does it?

bharat

I changed the location of awards, now they are under signatures and it seems look much better.

Illori

does that mean this issue is resolved? if so please click the mark topic solved button.

bharat

I just didn't want to remove awards and was looking for the solution, it seems to be the only option I guess.

Gwenwyfar

You could add a height limit with scrolling, but it may look even worse and no one will likely see your awards anyway...

bharat

How could I do that? Maybe I can try and see if it looks better or not. Anyway I am looking for the best option so that it is comfortable for the forum members.

Advertisement: