News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Direct upload photos on the forum

Started by bharat, January 18, 2018, 04:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bharat

I would like to check if there is a way to upload pictures directly to the site? Found this mod: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=205 is there something else?

Arantor

Direct upload to me suggests attachments... what exactly are you hoping to achieve that attachments can't do?

bharat

I don't really like that picture is under the message and also the size is small if you use attachments.

bharat

Also the folder where all the attachments are gets full pretty fast.

Arantor

Quote from: bharat on January 18, 2018, 05:10:23 AM
I don't really like that picture is under the message and also the size is small if you use attachments.

It does that to avoid messing up the layout and to save bandwidth by only showing a small version but you can click on it to see it full size.

Arantor

Quote from: bharat on January 18, 2018, 05:13:06 AM
Also the folder where all the attachments are gets full pretty fast.

Considering that it will hold the image, its thumbnail plus all of your avatars, this is not surprising.

So what are you hoping to achieve, putting the pictures on another server instead?

bharat

Quote from: Arantor on January 18, 2018, 05:29:27 AM
Quote from: bharat on January 18, 2018, 05:10:23 AM

It does that to avoid messing up the layout and to save bandwidth by only showing a small version but you can click on it to see it full size.

Well, if I remove the size restriction then pictures look the same size, the only thing I prefer them to be in the message window and not under it.

bharat

Our members upload a lot of pictures that's why I am thinking if this option is really good.

Arantor

So you force them to use more bandwidth, nice. Also there are options for putting attachments in posts.

bharat

Quote from: Arantor on January 18, 2018, 07:32:14 AMAlso there are options for putting attachments in posts.

Which options are you talking about? I am really for direct upload in posts.

Arantor

Look around for "inline attachments", it's a useful mod.

bharat

Arantor

I was actually thinking of https://github.com/Spuds/SMF-ILA

You know, you could set up a test forum and try them out and see which works better for your needs.

bharat

I tried to upload this mod to see how does it work but got a message that this file is empty.

bharat

I installed the one which I posted earlier but can't figure out how does it work. Can you please explain me?

Kindred

for the last time, Bharat -- and you have been told MULTIPLE TIMES!!! -- Mod specific questions should be asked in the thread dedicated to supporting that specific mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

I still have a lot of users use attachments, which is not my preferred method.

I installed SMF Gallery - which I love and then bought the pro version, and encourage people to use that instead. 

Use of a gallery allows easy embedding of images within the text etc, and the same image can be used in various places throughout the forum without taking extra space.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

bharat

If I don't buy pro version will it work the same way?

Steve

Go look at the support thread for that mod. It has a link to the pro version which will show you the differences:

SMF Gallery

Quote from: Kindred on January 18, 2018, 02:49:07 PM
for the last time, Bharat -- and you have been told MULTIPLE TIMES!!! -- Mod specific questions should be asked in the thread dedicated to supporting that specific mod.

Locking.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: