News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Startaza: Theme negates protected boards

Started by legaziofunk, January 18, 2018, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legaziofunk

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 19, 2018, 12:44:27 PM
Thank you. The widgets still behave, and I can't see any boards at all, and can't access the topic you linked. That's good.
And this leads me to suggest you should go through your boards again, and make sure you have set access for groups correctly.
Any group having access to a board, will be able to access them, and see posts from them in the widgets.
You can turn off the guest access now if you want. :)

I did... ;-)
Thank you!

QuoteOh, and I feel you - it takes a bit of getting used to, the Admin side of SMF. :)

Glad I'm not the only one... It partly is absolutely counterintuitive... sort of... ;-)

[/quote]Admin -> Forum -> Boards -> (select a board) -> Modify
Go through all boards, and make sure you have "Allowed Groups" set correctly. :)[/quote]

I wanted to do this, but there is virtually nothing to be set.
Why? I practically only have two groups set up so far:
Standard Users
Members of the board (this might be confusing, because here "board" is not referred to as FORUM boards, but it means more like CEOs, board of directors of the club, to give you an idea).

The board in question - board members (CEOs) - is only "assigned" to "members of the board".

BUT: I (and I am just trying to figure out where - remember this confusion of the admin structure? LOL) did see a setting somewhere, where the "borad member"-group is apparently set up as a child group of the standard group.

I believe, therefore the "board members" somehow inherit upward some rights to the standard member..??
And therefore thsi one standard member which I did set up for test purposes, can see the hidden "board member"-board?
Is that possible?
*I am a NEWBIE* Stats as of Dec. 2019
SMF: 2.0.15
Language: GERMAN UTF-8 by default for every user
Theme: CoreTheme
PHP: 7.2
MySQL Version: 5.6.45-86.1-log

legaziofunk

Quote from: Illori on January 19, 2018, 12:19:33 PM
i dont think it should be using SSI in the first place. this really should be an issue the theme author should take a look at .

Are you saying, you'd recommend not to use this theme at all?
(although I am having not the slightest clu of what you're talking about...)
*I am a NEWBIE* Stats as of Dec. 2019
SMF: 2.0.15
Language: GERMAN UTF-8 by default for every user
Theme: CoreTheme
PHP: 7.2
MySQL Version: 5.6.45-86.1-log

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: legaziofunk on January 19, 2018, 01:13:50 PM
QuoteAdmin -> Forum -> Boards -> (select a board) -> Modify
Go through all boards, and make sure you have "Allowed Groups" set correctly. :)

I wanted to do this, but there is virtually nothing to be set.
Why? I practically only have two groups set up so far:
Standard Users
Members of the board (this might be confusing, because here "board" is not referred to as FORUM boards, but it means more like CEOs, board of directors of the club, to give you an idea).

The board in question - board members (CEOs) - is only "assigned" to "members of the board".

BUT: I (and I am just trying to figure out where - remember this confusion of the admin structure? LOL) did see a setting somewhere, where the "borad member"-group is apparently set up as a child group of the standard group.

I believe, therefore the "board members" somehow inherit upward some rights to the standard member..??
And therefore thsi one standard member which I did set up for test purposes, can see the hidden "board member"-board?
Is that possible?
Permissions may be inherited, but board access shouldn't be.

From the default groups, Guest is self explanatory, Regular members is everyone who has registered.
If you want only a certain group to have access, then regular members should not have access. 
This is how you have set it up?

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

Quote from: legaziofunk on January 19, 2018, 01:18:14 PM
i dont think it should be using SSI in the first place. this really should be an issue the theme author should take a look at .

Are you saying, you'd recommend not to use this theme at all?
(although I am having not the slightest clu of what you're talking about...)

if it is not working how you want, it may be better to find a new theme that does out of the box.

Deaks

bigger question is how did the theme make it through approval guidelines?  this should have been spotted doing the process like other issues.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

nilar

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 19, 2018, 12:16:09 PM
I think it should be

$array =  ssi_recentPosts(5, null, null, 'array');

That's absolutely right. That was fixed some time ago, but not uploaded here yet.

nilar

Quote from: BryanD on January 23, 2018, 03:48:45 AM

bigger question is how did the theme make it through approval guidelines?  this should have been spotted doing the process like other issues.

Why is that? Is not SSI the standard way to do that? 

Illori

usually we dont recommend using SSI within SMF.

nilar

because of ...?

Is that not safe enough?

There are entire sections here https://wiki.simplemachines.org/ dedicated to SSI. If not recommended it should be written explicitly.

Gary

SSI is more designed for effectively exporting data to separate sites to be displayed (we use it to display news on our homepage as an example), it's not really designed for use within SMF itself.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

nilar

I understand. Honestly I thought that it was a very clean solution for those tasks.
However I guess I can code those sections in a different way.

engrz

how to make quick reply box mobile friendly with this theme?

Kindred

unrelated to the OP question and a really old thread.

please open your own or -- better -- ask in the thread dedicated to supporting this theme.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: