Importing SMF2.0.x membership date into 2.1.x

Started by landyvlad, January 18, 2018, 09:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

When will the production version of 2.1 be ready?
(just kidding  ;D )

I have an online install of 2.1.3beta and would like the membership of my 2.0.13 forum to be able to look at the 2.1 test forum.

Is there a way that I can import the user names and associated passwords of my existing forum into the 2.1 instance?  (No need to import posts, photos etc etc at this point)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Would probably be easiest and safest to just let them register there separately.
It's not necessarily a good idea to try to bridge a beta version with an established production site.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

albertlast

Also from dev side recommanded to use the github version.

shawnb61

Why not do a test upgrade?   They can preview everything.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 18, 2018, 11:39:29 PM
Would probably be easiest and safest to just let them register there separately.
It's not necessarily a good idea to try to bridge a beta version with an established production site.

Yeah fair enough.  Easy and Safe are good !
Not sure what you mean by 'bridging  - the current SMF2.0.x forum will stay completely untouched.

Quote from: albertlast on January 18, 2018, 11:44:14 PM
Also from dev side recommanded to use the github version.

Umm, ya lost me there mate ?!

Quote from: shawnb61 on January 19, 2018, 12:06:12 AM
Why not do a test upgrade?   They can preview everything.

Because there will always be forum members who then post 'real' stuff on the new forum and whinge when it's not on the real production one....

Thanks all for your responses.  I think I'll just take this advice -  just let them register there separately,

Cheers

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: