News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

smf upgrade patch errors

Started by sam casey, January 19, 2018, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam casey

might the simple solution be to make a new smf 2.0.15 install on the host , and then point it at the forums database ? . i did that with one of the sites as nothing we tried fixed the problem that we had , and installing a new smf install and pointing it at the database worked and that site works perfectly now .

using the above method means that any old smf files / old code wont be a factor , and the site will be up to date . what do you think ? .

sam casey

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 21, 2018, 02:43:51 PM
Do you have a lot of mods or custom code in your forum? If not, it could be a good idea to do it the Large Upgrade way.
Upgrading SMF

i could lists the installed mods for you if you want . regarding code or custom code i just dont know , as i said the original admin / code guy hasnt been with us for a few years now , and our current guy hasnt been available to help us , so i cant say what if any code is custom or not .

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In essence the large upgrade does the same, brings you to up to date files, but by overwriting the old code in place.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sam casey

ok thanks for all your help . its really appreciated .

Illori

Do you have a lot of mods or custom code in your forum? If not, it could be a good idea to do it the Large Upgrade way.
Upgrading SMF

actually i would recommend https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files instead.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sorry Illori, but I think when we are obviously talking about skipping multiple versions, (this time the forum being originally based on RC1) I think it's illogical to suggest a more complex procedure not actually meant for updating.

For the end user I think it is easier to keep three things separate; update, upgrade, and reverting to a clean install.

But that being said, if the database is OK and works with 2.0.15, that would work just as well.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

the issue is that you can upgrade all you want, but that will not remove any hooks mods may have installed, so you need to include that step that is part of the clean install. [which is fixed in SMF 2.1]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually a point to consider perhaps, why doesn't the upgrade script do that - or offer the option?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Illori

the devs have not considered it for SMF 2.0. i am not sure if it is worth adding it at this point.

sam casey

Quote from: Illori on January 21, 2018, 03:45:01 PM
Upgrading SMF

actually i would recommend https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files instead.

a big thank you to illori and everyone who has helped me here . ive uploaded a fresh set of files as per the instructions in the link above . all went ok and ive installed the 2.0.14 patch and then the 2.0.15 patch . no problems to report guys . so thank you very much to all  .

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: sam casey on January 25, 2018, 04:36:04 PM
Quote from: Illori on January 21, 2018, 03:45:01 PM
Upgrading SMF

a big thank you to illori and everyone who has helped me here . ive uploaded a fresh set of files as per the instructions in the link above . all went ok and ive installed the 2.0.14 patch and then the 2.0.15 patch . no problems to report guys . so thank you very much to all  .

Well  that's good to hear :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: