News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is there a right or easier way to create sticky order ?

Started by SaltedWeb, January 19, 2018, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

I have a couple of boards that have sticky posts that I need in order. To be some directions format so would want then to be posted in the order I need them.  Like 1 2 3 4 5 etc. However when you create a topic it goes in order created making it the opposite I need by having the beginning of the directions at the bottom and ending at the top. I don't want to change the whole forum just a couple of board topic I presume I could go thru and edit the first last after they are all up but what a pain and I have several boards to do like this.  Thanks for any idea.  PS yes there is a sticky mod but appears not to function well in 2.0.15 installs fine but doesn't correct order so looking for a way to do post like that. 
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Arantor

There is no stock way to do it in SMF, mostly because the sort of thing you're trying to do is pretty discouraged as users can reorder the board listing at their leisure.

However if you wanted to guarantee the order worked the way you wanted it, you could edit the smf_topics table and change the is_sticky values. As long as they're all > 0 it should function the same and order them highest number to lowest, so if you have 5 topics, the first one should be 5, the second 4 until you get to the fifth topic being 1.

It might get hairy if ever unstickied and stickied again but can't prevent that sort of shenanigan without code change.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: Arantor on January 19, 2018, 05:44:14 PM
There is no stock way to do it in SMF, mostly because the sort of thing you're trying to do is pretty discouraged as users can reorder the board listing at their leisure.

However if you wanted to guarantee the order worked the way you wanted it, you could edit the smf_topics table and change the is_sticky values. As long as they're all > 0 it should function the same and order them highest number to lowest, so if you have 5 topics, the first one should be 5, the second 4 until you get to the fifth topic being 1.

It might get hairy if ever unstickied and stickied again but can't prevent that sort of shenanigan without code change.

Appreciate that, me thinks just listing them back asward might take a bit more time but would leave things intact.
I'll consider it solved, sometimes helps to have another person weigh in, thanks again.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

aegersz

fyi ... someone made the Order Stickied Topics mod - it's very outdated and probably doesn't work ... just saying
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

GL700Wing

Quote from: aegersz on January 19, 2018, 06:11:43 PM
fyi ... someone made the Order Stickied Topics mod - it's very outdated and probably doesn't work ... just saying
I use this mod on all my SMF 2.0.15 forums and it works perfectly.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Arantor

Mostly because it just presents an interface to the exact technique I referred to ;)

SaltedWeb

Quote from: GL700Wing on January 19, 2018, 06:32:45 PM
Quote from: aegersz on January 19, 2018, 06:11:43 PM
I use this mod on all my SMF 2.0.15 forums and it works perfectly.

Hmm I didn't have success with it doing anything. It didn't cause any errors when installed but didnt changes anything when saved.
I may dabble with it a bit

br360

Steve

The one br360 posted is the one I've been using for a long time.

It does have one quirk in that when you want to unsticky something, you have to do it twice.
DO NOT pm me for support!

SaltedWeb

Quote from: Steve on January 20, 2018, 08:56:33 AM
The one br360 posted is the one I've been using for a long time.

It does have one quirk in that when you want to unsticky something, you have to do it twice.

Edit: OK I figured it out the Mod is so simple I was over thinking it seems to work just fine.
I was able to just effect the stickies and being I do not allow members to sticky for me this is acceptable.

Thanks you all for the help.

aegersz

Quote from: br360 on January 19, 2018, 08:29:23 PM
You can try this one too- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3425

That one should definitely work om 2.0.15

the first link takes you to an unusual SMF page with yellow highlighting embedded - do you know what formats that (Replies/Views) ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

br360

Not sure if that is a mod he installed or he did custom coding himself

SaltedWeb

br360

aegersz

Advertisement: