Unable to upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.1 Beta 3

Started by thunderchld, January 20, 2018, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderchld

Hello!

I'm attempting to upgrade my dev SMF (which is a clone of my production site, files and database) to 2.1 Beta 3. However, each time I try, I get stuck on Step 1.

One of two things happen - in a loop (both things happen, which one happens first, appears to be a vairable)

1. I get an error that my language files are out of date. It allows me to "Skip", "Try English", or "Click here to try again". 
   - I have verified that the language file is the most up-to-date. I've downloaded the 2.0.15 and 2.1B3 full package and tried both
   - I've Skipped
   - I've tried again.

All options lead to...

2. FTP Connect.  I cannot connect to my FTP. The connection information works if I go to an FTP client or use Windows to connect, so I know that is right.  I've clicked on "here" to see the list of tiles that should change, but the link appears to be broken.  In addition, after the paragraph about what to do, I see "\n'); content.close ();}" PHP code.
   - I've re-downloaded the 2.1 B3 large upgrade file.
   - I've verified my connection information.

Sometimes it will tell me it connected and then send me back to item 1 above.

Am I missing something obvious?  I'd prefer not to do a clean install as eventually, I'd like to upgrade my forum to 2.1 and I'd like to help identify any issues in an upgrade path if possible.

Thank you!

albertlast

Please use the github version,
beta 3 is very old.

thunderchld

Thank you, I guess I assumed the GitHub version and the download versions were the same.

I've moved past the FTP connect, but it is still telling me I have an old language file. I've downloaded the full 2.0.15 package and overrode the whole language file and I'm still getting the Item 1 above.  Should I be using the 2.0.15 or the 2.1 B3 from here: https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?languages;id=1

albertlast

When you want to upgrade (i hope not for productive purpose),
than use the upgrade version from here: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558451.0

Illori

use the language files for SMF 2.1 b3, they should work with the version on github.

shawnb61

I thought we only had English for 2.1...  Are there other language files out there?   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Gwenwyfar

Yes. Though I think they're mostly synced to beta 3 right now. There's going to be differences to the current github version (not that it should matter much anyway).
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

thunderchld

No luck - same thing.

I've deleted the test site and re-cloned it, downloaded a new nightly build this morning. I've uploaded that - still the bad language file.

Skipping it takes me to the page asking for admin creds. I enter those (they work, I was able to log into the admin console with them before uploading the 2.1 b4 package), back to the language page.

I was able to get around the loop by changing "$disable_security = false" to "true"

(again, I'm doing this to help find bugs, not for production purposes. I don't mind removing packages and such. )

thunderchld

Update:   (Nightly Upgrade: last_commit_08f647)

After bypassing with "$disable_security = true", forum upgraded - YAY

Go to sign in: "You didn't enter your password." I've tried 2 browsers and a second machine -same thing. Tried a different account...same thing.

*headdesk*

thunderchld

(Sorry, not sorry) - This is my on-going "what i tried list"

1. Put form back online from aintance mode - no change
2. Tried to register and unable to - Screenshot (blank.png)
3. Finally made it to the home page. Error "Unable to load the 'boardindex_outer_above' template." - Screenshot (maybe.png)

thunderchld

I waited a few days and came back to this. Downloaded a new nightly build - same problem with the "Unable to load the 'boardindex_outer_above' template."

I added repair_settings.php and tried to set the default theme back to the default - no luck. 

Still investigating.

landyvlad

Did you figure this out? If so, what was the fix?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

thunderchld

shawnb61

Have you tried the update via browser?   Or always ftp?   

Can you describe the process you followed in detail?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

thunderchld

I've cloned my production site for testing.

From there, I've tried uploading the package to via FTP and then go to upgrade.php via the browser.  It goes through the upgrade as normal and then when I get to the login page - I get the above (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558448.msg3958572#msg3958572).

I have not done it from the browser though if you were referring to another way.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: thunderchld on March 17, 2018, 11:54:34 AM
I've cloned my production site for testing.

From there, I've tried uploading the package to via FTP and then go to upgrade.php via the browser.  It goes through the upgrade as normal and then when I get to the login page - I get the above (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558448.msg3958572#msg3958572).

I have not done it from the browser though if you were referring to another way.

Are you doing the upgrade through the Admin Panel? Because if you are, that is not the right way to perform such a big upgrade. You must upgrade the forum manually.

shawnb61

I suspect a couple issues.  First, file permissions.  Second, language pack confusion.  Let's try a more detailed set of instructions & see if this helps... 
  • Before the upgrade, in your newly restored test 2.0 environment, check your file permissions.  You can see them under Package Manager | File Permissions.  If you need to fix any, fix 'em there.
  • Also before the upgrade, look at your custom avatar directory, under Avatar Settings.  If you have a custom avatar directory, and it is named anything other than custom_avatar, you should change it to custom_avatar - both here & at the file system level.  This may prevent some confusing avatar behavior.
  • Also before the upgrade, change your default language to English.   (This is ONLY needed because 2.1beta4 doesn't have current language packs right now.)
  • Last step before the upgrade...   Delete everything *except*: Your attachments directory, your avatars directory, your custom_avatar directory, your smileys directory and your Settings.php file.  This ensures you are starting from a truly clean slate.  Note:  If you have mod-specific folders you'd like to keep, keep those too.
  • Download & extract the new 2.1b4 files, overwriting your existing forum files.   You can either download directly from Github or use these spiffy pre-canned files:
      https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558451.0
  • If you downloaded from Github, you will need to do one more step - that is to copy all of the files that start with upgrade*.* from your /other directory to your forum root directory.
  • Run upgrade.php.  I always use the browser.

I am hoping (1) above will address the permission problems and steps (3) and (4) will address the language issue.   

Hope this helps,

thunderchld

Quote from: shawnb61 on March 17, 2018, 01:37:37 PM
I suspect a couple issues.  First, file permissions.  Second, language pack confusion.  Let's try a more detailed set of instructions & see if this helps... 
  • Before the upgrade, in your newly restored test 2.0 environment, check your file permissions.  You can see them under Package Manager | File Permissions.  If you need to fix any, fix 'em there.

Done - it looked standard (0755 or 0644). I confirmed those were right against the https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading "Set File and Directory Permissions"

• Also before the upgrade, look at your custom avatar directory, under Avatar Settings.  If you have a custom avatar directory, and it is named anything other than custom_avatar, you should change it to custom_avatar - both here & at the file system level.  This may prevent some confusing avatar behavior.

Curious - but OK, I changed it.  (I had it to "avs" based off something else I read, but that's no big deal. I just never would have thought that would cause problems).

Question on this - is it best practice to have this under or above my forum?  Right now I have:

/custom_avatar
/forum

But should it really be:
/forum/custom_avatar?

• Also before the upgrade, change your default language to English.   (This is ONLY needed because 2.1beta4 doesn't have current language packs right now.)

Check, we only have English installed anyways

• Last step before the upgrade...   Delete everything *except*: Your attachments directory, your avatars directory, your custom_avatar directory, your smileys directory and your Settings.php file.  This ensures you are starting from a truly clean slate.  Note:  If you have mod-specific folders you'd like to keep, keep those too.

Check - Opted for GitHub nightly build

• If you downloaded from Github, you will need to do one more step - that is to copy all of the files that start with upgrade*.* from your /other directory to your forum root directory.
  • Run upgrade.php.  I always use the browser.

so I go through all of this - literally still stuck in the same language loop.  I deleted everything (I have it backed up and it's a test site so I do not care if I lose custom avatars or what not.  And STILL says I have an old or outdated language file.

thunderchld

I'm thinking - as I am sure we all are - there is something wrong with my form.  My provider recently updated PHP and MySql and I've been seeing other weird things.  E.g. we have been using Like Posts, but it has stopped working. I was working on this in my test site, and I keep getting "Function name must be a string".

I think I need to look at cleaning up my existing site and then come back to the beta testing I want to do.

Kindred

I don't believe that like posts supports php7
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: