More Attachment, using more Physical Memory Usage ?

Started by bb99, January 21, 2018, 02:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bb99

Hi All,

Why when i add attachment into post, it use more Physical Memory even when no one download the file ?

I just added around 300mb of file, now my physical memory is always staying at 813.1 MB / 2 GB ( 40% ). When i add more it use more.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Memory usage will vary, and the variables are too many to answer your question very precisely.

Adding attachments and posts will not reserve memory though, they are stored on the server's disk space.
Handling attachments will use some memory and cpu though, and on some hosting setups that once used memory may never be freed again before the server really needs it.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

bb99

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 21, 2018, 03:36:51 AM
Memory usage will vary, and the variables are too many to answer your question very precisely.

Adding attachments and posts will not reserve memory though, they are stored on the server's disk space.
Handling attachments will use some memory and cpu though, and on some hosting setups that once used memory may never be freed again before the server really needs it.

Me too find it funny, how can the attachment store in the hard disk use memory when no one download. I believe it may be the hosting setup, when it go up it will not go down.

Advertisement: