News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Download for nightly(github) smf2.1

Started by albertlast, January 21, 2018, 02:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

Sorry for what may be a stupid question - should this just work the same way as a usual upgrade file via the package manager?
I ask because I tried that and got the error
Quotepackage upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable."
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Illori

no you cannot use the package manager for this upgrade, you need to override all files and run the upgrade script.

do make sure this is NOT on your live install.

landyvlad

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2018, 09:08:24 AM
no you cannot use the package manager for this upgrade, you need to override all files and run the upgrade script.

do make sure this is NOT on your live install.

OK is there a guide for idiots step by step of what to do?

Yep definitely NOT my live (2.0.x) forum.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

shawnb61

Quote from: landyvlad on June 25, 2018, 01:29:57 AM
stupid question.
I have a test install of 2.1beta3 - can I use these upgrades to go to beta4?

Beta-to-beta updates work pretty well.  Your code gets updated & your database structures are updated properly.

There is one caveat:  If you scan the upgrade code (especially in other/upgrade_2-1_mysql.sql) you'll see that parts of the code will not allow themselves to be executed twice.  If there are fixes in those areas, you will not get the benefit.   

Bottom line is that a beta-to-beta upgrade gets you 99% of the way there but you may miss out on some fixes.  Maybe I'm a little OCD on this, but I always execute the full upgrade from 2.0.x to 2.1. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

Quote from: landyvlad on June 26, 2018, 09:26:30 AM
OK is there a guide for idiots step by step of what to do?

I follow these steps:
1) Back everything up...
2) Delete all folders & files except:
        - attachments
        - smileys
        - custom_avatar    (<= make sure your custom avatar folder uses this name!)
        - any mod-specific folders for mods you want to keep, if you have any (e.g., /downloads)
        - Settings.php
        - (Some theme developers like keeping the Themes folder around, too...)
  3) Use the nightly upgrade .zip from the start of this thread.  Extract the files on top of your remaining files above. 
  4) Run upgrade.php in your forum root; some folks use ftp, but I simply use the browser, works fine

***  If you are using a copy of your prod database, don't forget to disable things like notification-related scheduled tasks in your test environment, or your production users might see icky test data.  *** 

Hope this helps,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Illori

you should also not delete Settings_bak.php either.

njtweb

See if I understand this accurately. If I have a 2.1 install I can re-install practically every day with a new upgrade package on Github?

shawnb61

Quote from: njtweb on June 26, 2018, 11:33:15 AM
See if I understand this accurately. If I have a 2.1 install I can re-install practically every day with a new upgrade package on Github?

Yes, given the minor caveat noted above.

shawnb61

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2018, 10:32:29 AM
you should also not delete Settings_bak.php either.

Illori - Requiring the backup around was an old bug that has been fixed.   See PR #4180 up on Github. 

Illori

ah nice, but does not hurt to leave it behind if you have it.

landyvlad

OK thanks. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

landyvlad

Upgrade 2.1 B3 to 2.1B4 succesful - thanks all !

albertlast

From my pov would be nice,
when smf provide no nightly download,
that this topic get sticky.

albertlast

albertlast

The nightly download got somehow "stuck" on an old version,
this issue fixed now.

albertlast

Added db_last_error.php to install and upgrade zip

landyvlad

Quick question - I have a very small test forum for 2.1 and am trying to upgrade to latest version exactly as per provided instructions earlier in this thread.
Running upgrade.php
Time elapsed has 'stopped' at 0 mins, 37 seconds.
The green bar for "Overall Progress" seems to have stopped at 63%
The orange bar for 'Step' progress is sitting at 100%
Progress is showing as Step 4. Database changes.

it's been sitting like this for about 5 minutes so far....

Obviously a large database would take a long time but in this instance my database is only 6.36 MB. Yep, megabytes.

EDIT:  I just ran it again and selected continue, this time it went almost straight away to success. :)  Cheers

plintus

Please tell me whether I should upgrade to the official version 2.1RC or the latest nightly build posted here is the same?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: plintus on February 07, 2019, 09:04:10 AM
Please tell me whether I should upgrade to the official version 2.1RC or the latest nightly build posted here is the same?
Depends on you really, they may not be the same. The official RC1 is the public release, concidered stable enough to use, while the nightly may change and/or temporarily break stuff.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: