News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

since 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 upgrade, problems with Bad Behavior mod (others?)

Started by brynn, January 21, 2018, 08:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
Ever since I upgraded from 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 (which was just a couple of weeks ago....3 maybe) I see a few different problems.  Most of them seem to be related to Bad Behavior.  One of them, maybe not.  None of the problems are error messages.

I'm still kind of new at managing my forum, all on my own.  The upgrade didn't go through automatically, and I had to edit 2 files manually.  There were 2 edits (as I recall) to ManageMembers.php and and one to PersonalMessage.php.

In another forum, I heard there was a problem with the upgrade and Bad Behavior.  But there's also every chance I made a mistake with the edits.  Of course I saved all the original files, and I could restore them.  But eventually, I do want to keep the software up to date.

Can you tell me what would be the best way to sort this out?   Shall I post exactly what I did with the code?  Or should I cross fingers and wait for the next upgrade?

Specifically, we can't access Personal Messages from the profile.  This is only happening in one of my 2 forums -- the forum running Tiny Portal.  (The other forum runs Simple Portal.)  My pm mods are Enhanced PM System, PM and Post Inline Attachments, PM Quotes.

The other problems I've noticed are

-- The notification from Bad Behavior, in the Tiny Portal forum, doesn't go away after I delete the members.  They eventually do go away (somewhere between 6 and 24 hours) if more new members aren't identified the next day.
-- A member who I reported manually through SMF, never changes to red in the TP forum, which means that somehow SMF doesn't "see" the member in SFS.  (It's possible there's just a time delay, as with the notification not going away.  It just happened a short while ago.)
-- In the Simple Portal forum, one person is identified as a spammer, who is not found in the SFS database. (This never corrects itself.)

I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer me  :)

Thank you very much!

Steve

Unfortunately brynn, as the Project Manager recently said:

Quote from: Illori on January 13, 2018, 09:40:20 AM... we dont support mods here because of the number of mods that exist.

You'll need to post in the support threads for the mods that are causing you problems.
DO NOT pm me for support!

brynn

Oh, I apologize.  I wasn't aware of that.

A couple of questions, just so that I understand clearly.

What if I don't know where a problem is coming from?  Can I ask to be pointed in the right direction?

Actually, in this case, I was thinking the update was the problem.

brynn

Ooh, bad news.  It seems we don't have any PM ability at all.  I'm thinking I should probably undo the whole upgrade, until I can sort it out.

Can I just confirm what order to do in?  Does it matter if I restore the 2 files first, and then uninstall the upgrade?  Or uninstall first, before I restore the files?

Illori

Sir Osis of Liver

If you upgraded with package manager, there should be a backup in /Packages/backups.  Download, unzip, upload to forum root.  That will get you back to 2.0.14.  But sounds like your forum is damaged, would be better to do what Illori suggested and get a clean install.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

brynn

Oh, no worries with backups.  I make my own backups (in addition to saving both versions of the file, before and after changing it).  (Also in addition to backups which I pay my host for.)

I tried to upgrade with the package manager, but it showed me red errors, so I had to edit the 2 files.  I'm not sure if that's what's meant by manually installing it.  I've never not used the package manager to install something, but I have had to edit individual files sometimes.

I'm just not clear if this consistutes "multiple" issues.  It was just 1 edit on each of 2 files (plus a 3rd which was just changing a version number).  I guess it must sound like multiple issues to you all.

Well, here's the thing.  I've never done a fresh or clean install.  Not of the forum (I installed our CPG gallery, and piwik, but not the forum).  So I'm thinking it might be best if I can revert to 2.0.14, so that the forum is functioning.  And then I'll set up a test forum, and set about learning what I need to learn, when I'm not under pressure.

Oh wait!  Since I pay for nightly backups, couldn't I just ask my host to restore to back before I did the upgrades?

Then I could move on to making the test forum, and learning how to make the clean install.  Or maybe I would even get the upgrade right, the 2nd time around, and not need to do the fresh install??

Wouldn't that work?

Kindred

Well, I will say that I run bad behavior on all of my sites and they have no issue with smf 2.0.15
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: brynn on January 21, 2018, 07:07:26 PMOh wait!  Since I pay for nightly backups, couldn't I just ask my host to restore to back before I did the upgrades?

Then I could move on to making the test forum, and learning how to make the clean install.  Or maybe I would even get the upgrade right, the 2nd time around, and not need to do the fresh install??

Wouldn't that work?

No point in paying for backups if you don't use them when something goes wrong.

brynn

Thanks Steve.

After I get restored back to 2.0.14, I'll investigate what I did wrong with the upgrade.  So I would post that message in this board, right?

brynn

Hhm, unfortunately, I would lose 3 weeks worth of messages, by using my host's backup.  So let me ask about this.  It sounds pretty easy.

QuoteIf you upgraded with package manager, there should be a backup in /Packages/backups.  Download, unzip, upload to forum root.

I found the tar.gz file and unpacked using 7zip.  That produced a TAR file.

When you say "upload to forum root" it sounds like you mean through SFTP or SSH.  Is that correct?  So I put it in public_html/forum, right?  That's my forum root.  But I don't understand what makes that file revert everything to 2.0.14.

Or do I replace something with this?

Would that cause all the messages posted since the upgrade to be lost as well?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Unpack the TAR too, 7zip knows how to do that :) You'll see how to use it once it's all unpacked. ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

brynn

Thanks for your help Lex.

Ok, unpacked again.  Now I have a few folders and a few files.  Well, I guess it's not entirely clear what to do with them.  But based on SOL's instructions, I would upload those, and let them overwrite.  Cross fingers.....

Aahh....I think we're good.  The Package Manager is indicating that I have not installed 2.0.15 yet.

PMs are back, and working, afaict.  I won't know if the Bad Behavior issues are fixed until a spammer registers.  But all the signs look good!

Thanks for everyone's help and patience!

If I want to troubleshoot what I did wrong with the edits, and hopefully do it correctly this time, should I start a new topic?

Thanks again  :)

Steve

Depends on whether you want to mark this solved or not. Personally, I'd wait a few days or so and then either mark it solved or ask any questions you may have.

brynn

Because of the title, and how it was such a wavy path to figure out the actual problem, I think I'll just close this one, and start a new topic.

Even though the problems got solved by reverting the upgrade, I still call it successful :D

Thanks for everyone's comments and patience.  Much appreciated! 

Advertisement: