It is too uncomfortable to upload images.

Started by iyagi, January 21, 2018, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iyagi

When I upload a big image,
At the size set by the administrator
It should be converted automatically using GD.

I hate making it small on my computer.
Also,
I do not have to have a small size image.

SMF 2.1 Beta 3 user.

aegersz

there are a few image resizing mods available
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Kindred

And, since this setting is determined by the admin, if the admin wants to allow large images, then they will...    forcing a huge image to be resized could take a very large amount of server resources...

Also, with the RC version almost released, no Additional features are going to be added
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iyagi

Quote from: Kindred on January 21, 2018, 08:07:30 PM
forcing a huge image to be resized could take a very large amount of server resources...

I put a lot of pictures at the shopping mall at once and convert it to GD (php-gd).
The speed is not slow.
Forums are not used by operators.
It is used by members.
Forums that are not easy to use are reluctant to use them.

Also,
If you have enough users to run out of server resources,
Servers will also need to be added.

Developers can create GD-enabled options in the Admin menu.
The rest is determined by the operator.

Kindred

Except 90% or more of the people using this software are running on shared servers with limited resources...   so, whatever you may think about your own setup, resizing a very large image would indeed be a difficulty for many sites,  and adding more servers is not a valid response

The admin, if they want to, can set the file size to some arbitrarily high number and force the image itself to appear smaller. That is the best that you are going to get, unless you want to run a gallery mod, which may do what you ask.... but it is extremely unlikely that such an option would be included in the core product.... certainly not in 2.0.x, which is receiving only security and major bug fixes... and not in 2.1which is pretty much feature frozen at this time.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: