News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Bulk Email Problems with Gmail

Started by ceekay27, January 23, 2018, 04:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceekay27

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I sent out a bulk email to members on my forum to notify them of a competition. All went ok.
Today I had a new member sign, she contacted to me to say she didn't receive the activation email, so I sent her a reply from my domain email, and it got returned to me, with this error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550-5.7.1 [89.187.86.7       1] Our system has detected an unusual rate of
    550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
    550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked.
    550-5.7.1 Please visit
    550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=UnsolicitedIPError to review our
    550 5.7.1 Bulk Email Senders Guidelines. p6si13848491wrd.350 - gsmtp

Now my domain email sends the activation emails, and it seems that google has now decided that I am a spammer. So any mail sent from my domain to a Gmail account won't be received.

I have tried to see what I can do to remedy this problem, but I'm not tech minded in the slightest, I have no idea what valid reverse DNS records are, and no idea what any of the google steps mean, or how I can work them into my forum, or cpanel. I'm at a total loss!

Can anyone please help with a solution, or at least point me in the direction of a way to verify in laymans terms.

Thanks in Advance.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This is usually the first measure from Gmail when they strongly suspect spamming, and if the first time - and the activity that caused it stops, it may be temporary. But... There are a lot of variables to this, and not really anything related to SMF as such.

Perhaps this might help to give an idea of how it all works
https://www.rackaid.com/blog/gmail-blacklist-removal/

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: