News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cannot access forum

Started by PenelopeQ, January 26, 2018, 12:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

That is what I get when I go to my forum.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Can't say I've seen that error often. Does it come up immediately when you open the page, or when you are doing something on the forum?
Do you have access to your server error logs, and do they show anything that might be related?

I have seen that error happen with with other software sometimes, and if I remember correctly it had something to do with the formatting of the code. Any lines with <!--# in the beginning would throw that error, and removing the # would fix it -but what actually was to blame, I can't remember....
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

PenelopeQ

I just refreshed my page and got that and now get it when I try to go to the forum.
I was looking into an old and unfixed issue and decided to try to run upgrade.php...but then realized I don't have the doc and running that got that error message and now I get that same error for just trying to be on the forum.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Do you have upgrade.php on your server right now?
If you do, remove it - then try running repair_settings.php.
Does it work, and does it show you have maintenance mode active or not?

What is repair_settings.php?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

PenelopeQ

No i don't have it. I finally went to cpanel and did a search; it is not there.

But did trying to run it--when not there--cause this current error which I believe is the same error I got when trying to run upgrade.php?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It really should not. Please, check you error logs, and tell us if there is anything that could be related.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

No, you would get a 404.  Did you try running repair_settings?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

PenelopeQ

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 26, 2018, 01:01:24 PM
Did you try running repair_settings?

Assuming that is forumaddress/repair_settings.php I just did it and got the same error...it seems that ANYthing with my forum address gives that error. Because of that I cannot check the error logs through the forum and will have to go to cpanel--I'm asking someone for help with that...and I'd love it if you can also give some advice as well.

Thanks

oldpilot

Looks like our forum is back up - although I can not explain why.
I guess we got some help from someone.

PenelopeQ

I have a volunteer systems admin who looked fixed it for me. So yes, we are up and running.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement: