Upgrade dilemma

Started by Starbuck501, January 27, 2018, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 30, 2018, 02:26:12 PM
See: What is a phpinfo() file?

Try this.  I've seen several forums where cpanel was repporting incorrect software versions, and host support insisted it was correct.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

Thanks for the reply,
I already had that uploaded to the server......

http://www.smokey-services.eu/newtest/phpinfo.php

Sir Osis of Liver

You shouldn't be getting mysql errors in 5.6.37.  You're in php 5.5.38, that shouldn't be a problem either.  I would do what's been suggested above, do a clean install and reinstall mods you need.  Don't know if there were any database changes since RC 1.2.  Are you able to install upgrade patches with package manager?

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 03, 2018, 10:44:00 PM
Don't know if there were any database changes since RC 1.2.

there are many database changes since RC 1.2.

Starbuck501

QuoteI would do what's been suggested above, do a clean install
I'm beginning to think that this may be the only way around the issues.
If I were to create a new database and install a fresh copy of SMF, is it possible to transfer the membership, posts etc over?

This is what I obviously don't want to lose...
Quote114142 Posts in 88533 Topics by 4887 Members.
Being new to this I'm not sure what is possible and what isn't.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 03, 2018, 10:44:00 PM
Are you able to install upgrade patches with package manager?

If you can patch the existing install to 2.0.15, it will update the database and eliminate mysql errors.  If you do a clean install, you'll have to run upgrade.php to fix the database, then reinstall current versions of any mods you need.  Either way, you shouldn't lose any of your content.  Just be sure you have a good database backup before you do anything.

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

Hi Sir Osis,

QuoteIf you can patch the existing install to 2.0.15, it will update the database and eliminate mysql errors.
Looks like that's not going to be possible...No way to patch RC1.2
QuotePlease note that patches are usually not provided for development versions of SMF (betas and release candidates (RC).

Sir Osis of Liver

Wow, that's really old.  There's no option to patch up.  Having a problem upgrading RC1.2 -> 2.0.15.  Working on it.

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

Now comes the part when I have to bow my head in shame....

Sitting here thinking about the problem:
Procedure for the test forum would be.... create directory, copy over files etc from the main directory that the forum runs from, then add the upgrade utility and let it overwrite some of the old directories/files etc. then run the upgrade.
Is that correct?

If so... I did it all wrong.

I created the test directory, added the upgrade utility and then added the contents of the main forum directory and let it overwrite some of the upgrade directories/files

Can't believe I was so dumb.  :-[

Sir Osis of Liver

Would hold off doing anything for a bit.  I'm unable to upgrade clean RC1.2 install to 2.0.15.  Running upgrade to 2.0.1, let's see if that works ....

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

Ok, thank you Sir.

I appreciate the time you're taking over this.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, you can't upgrade RC1.2 -> 2.0.15, you get outdated files error.  Can't upgrade RC1.2 -> RC2 or 2.0.1, database upgrade stalls after first couple of steps.  Here's how I got it to work:

- Revert php version from 5.6 -> 5.3
- Upgrade RC1.2 -> 2.0.1 - upload 2.0.1 upgrade package, run upgrade.php
- Upgrade php 5.3 -> 5.6
- Upload 2.0.15 upgrade package

That will put you at 2.0.15, not necessary to run .15 upgrade.php.  This was done on clean install with new database.  Make sure you have good database backup, check upgrade option to create backup tables.

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

Thanks for all that.

QuoteUpgrade RC1.2 -> 2.0.1 - upload 2.0.1 upgrade package
so that would be the SMF 2.0 - SMF2.0.1?
or do you mean 2.0.1 from the package manager?

Quote- Upload 2.0.15 upgrade package
That will put you at 2.0.15, not necessary to run .15 upgrade.php.
So that's going from SMF2.0.1 - 2.0.15?
again, is that from the package manager?

QuoteThis was done on clean install with new database
There's quite a few mods installed on this forum (some probably not compatible with newer versions)
Would it be best to set this up and run this in a test forum first?
From the test forum can I remove the mods before running these upgrades? ( to hopefully make it smoother) then install the later version of mods at the end?

Sir Osis of Liver

I upgraded RC1.2 to 2.0.1 using 2.0.1 large upgrade package and running upgrade.php, that updates database to 2.0.1, there were no database changes after 2.0 went final.  Once you're running in 2.0.1, you can upload 2.0.15 large upgrade package, which will update everything to .15.  You don't do any of this with package manager, you have to upload the upgrade packages via ftp or cpanel file manager.  You'll have a clean install, all mods and customizations will be gone, the files are overwritten.

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

Hi Sir,

QuoteI upgraded RC1.2 to 2.0.1 using 2.0.1 large upgrade package and running upgrade.php
Ok, found the 2.0.1 large upgrade in the archives.

Quoteyou can upload 2.0.15 large upgrade package, which will update everything to .15
Ok, got that as well.
QuoteYou'll have a clean install, all mods and customizations will be gone, the files are overwritten.
Sounds great.
Now I can get rid of this antique software and move on.

Thank you for the time you spent on this.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Where did you get that version info? Are you sure it is correct?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Doesn't look like he did the upgrade.  Problem I found testing this is upgrade scripts were not compatible with php version.  RC1.2 -> 2.0.15 wouldn't run in php 5.6, outdated files error.  RC1.2 -> RC2 or 2.0.1 would run, but stall after first couple of steps in database upgrade.  Got it to work by doing RC1.2 -> 2.0.1 in php 5.3, then 2.0.1 -> 2.0.15 in php 5.6.  No idea if this would work on his production install.

- R. Waters

Starbuck501

QuoteDoesn't look like he did the upgrade.
No day off until Sunday, so the upgrade is ear marked for then.
Will copy the main directory to a test directory and run the upgrade from there first.
Will have to create another database first though because it seems the first upgrade to  2.0.1 will change the database...  if it doesn't work, I don't want to screw up my live forum.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

My bad, I was erroneously inquiring about the DB version error mentioned earlier, without noticing all the discussion after it. I'm sorry.
But to address the upgrade issues Sir Osis mentioned, I haven't seen those issues myself, the only outdated files errors I've seen have been about language files when the Admin account is using anything other than non-utf8 english, and that can be worked around.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Clean RC1.2 install, clean database, ran 2.0.1 upgrade in php 5.6 and got outdated files error.  Server was logging php code errors, including deprecated mysql functions.  Best guess is deprecated mysql code was causing db errors, and outdated files error was red herring, upgrade was throwing wrong error because it didn't know what else to do.  Upgrade ran normally in php 5.3, same mysql version.  Running an early RC in production forum not really a good idea. :P

- R. Waters

Advertisement: