News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Goaddy - Instrallatron SMF App

Started by memers74, January 28, 2018, 12:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memers74

Hi,

I looked around to find an answer to this but didn't, so I am going to do my best to explain what I am seeking.

Currently running SMF 2.0.15 on two sites. On one site we installed the SMF Application on GoDaddy which allows it to do an auto backup on it - see image attached. On the other site, we don't have it set up like that, but want to.

My question, if I go ahead and hook up that SMF site to this app, will it mess up or override anything on the site? Of course, I have backups if something does go wrong.

The purpose of this is to have a continuous backup running in the background so if something is to ever happen, it can be fixed. And not to pay extra with Godaddy or use their support because they usually don't know anything about SMF.

Anyone familiar with this?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In general, installers like that are not a good idea really - even though they are meant to make your life easier, they are known to often cause trouble. I wouldn't trust them with my backups.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

memers74

ok- thank you and totally makes sense. Is there something you recommend?

I know GoDaddy has a backup plan but charge for it. Would like to get rid of them actually. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Getting rid of GoDaddy is always a good idea. Perhaps get a host that allows you to make automatic backups within the hosting control panel?
Many hosts do.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

If your cpanel supports cron jobs (some GD accounts do, some don't), you can set up automatic backups.  You would be well advised to move to a better host. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Perhaps look around Hosts, Hosting and Commercial Services and ask questions from the hosts themselves. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

zomgmike

Do they have Softaculous by any chance? Softaculous keeps their software way more up to date than Installatron or Fantastico. Some hosts give you access to more than one of the big three (Softaculous/Fantastico/Installatron)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

But like mentioned, trusting backups or updates to an installer script is often a poor substitute to the "real thing".
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: