News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

failed upgrade autopsy (2.0.14 to 2.0.15)

Started by brynn, January 28, 2018, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

cPanel > Metrics > Errors doesn't show any errors for my IP address, or anything about PMs or the forum (something about htaccess file).

username/logs/php.error.log only shows 2 errors from July 2017.

I downloaded and opened the Raw Access Log, and found this below.  I'm not sure if it's giving any helpful info.  Specifically, I'm not sure what the "304" means.

my.ip.add.ress - - [13/Feb/2018:10:22:46 -0700] "GET /Themes/Aqua/css/index.css?fin20 HTTP/1.1" 304 - "https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?action=pm" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1"

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

304 is nothing to worry about, it is a sign that your browser already has a valid copy of the resource, and it's not necessary to send it again.
But I am curious as to how a blank page wouldn't leave an error somewhere.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_the_white_screen_of_death_means
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

brynn

I found user/logs/forum.inkscapecommunity.com-Feb-2018.gz.  Downloaded, opening now....

Will read the info on white screen as soon as I finish looking in that log.

brynn

No luck with that file.

I'll try to output more info, using the info on https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_the_white_screen_of_death_means

But first, tell me what to expect.  Will the site still be still be live for members and guests, or should I do this overnight?

After I upload/overwrite index.php, what's going to happen?  Does it give me a log or a list?  Do I need to browse to PM page to trigger the white page?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The index.php method should make the error visible when it happens, so you should go to the address currently causing the white page.
Since your earlier version of the PM -file worked (albeit with errors) and since that index.php edit may cause confusion and / or give out somewhat sensitive info on your setup, I would perhaps suggest reverting to the previously working PM -file for now, and wait for a suitable quiet moment for further investigation - unless you are in a hurry. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

brynn

Oh yeah, I reverted to the. last working file immediately when I saw the problem.

The problem with waiting for quiet time, is that it's fairly well an international community, so visitors are around all the time.  But I'll check my analytics and see if there might be good time.

So you're saying that anyone who clicks the link for PMs will see the error message? 

But it won't take very long to do this, will it?  Just upload/overwrite, browse to PM page, copy/paste whatever is there, then upload the original index.php.  Sounds like 5 minutes, if I don't get distracted.

Mon, Tues, Wed are our busiest days.  But we've been without Stop Spammer for over 2 weeks, and the spam is piling up.  (No one ever sees it, but still.)  I'll still check the analytics, but I'll probably bet that none of the visitors who might visit during those few minutes are going to use PMs.  And I'll go ahead and do it in the next little while.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, anyone able to cause a PHP error would be seeing the error messages, so anyone who went to their PMs would see the error.

Shouldn't take long to see what the error is, you are right - and it's not that big a deal to do any time you feel like, just as long as it's not your biggest peak hours :)

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

brynn

Hhm, this is our peak time right now.  So I'll wait until around 6 to 7 pm, when it drops off (5 or 6 hours from now).

I'll post whatever results I get.

brynn

Ok, here's what was produced with that trick.  I don't think I even need to disguise that path, it looks pretty generic.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/brynn/public_html/forum/Sources/PersonalMessage.php on line 2519

Based on my extremeley limited understanding, I would guess that error means there's an extra semicolon in that line.

2519 is a somewhat long line, with only 1 semicolon, which is at the end.  The file attached to one of the last messages above PersonalMessage-brynn.php is the file.

I can't really guess, by looking at other code, exactly what the semicolon does, or whether is should or should not be there.  I can only wait for suggestions.

Thanks again for Lex and everyone else's help and support, and patience!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: brynn on February 13, 2018, 08:18:42 PM
Ok, here's what was produced with that trick.  I don't think I even need to disguise that path, it looks pretty generic.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/brynn/public_html/forum/Sources/PersonalMessage.php on line 2519
Actually yes, this is what is there now

// Do the actual sending of the PM.
if (!empty($recipientList['to']) || !empty($recipientList['bcc']))
$context['send_log'] = sendpm($recipientList, $_REQUEST['subject'], $_REQUEST['message'], !empty($_REQUEST['outbox']), null, !empty($_REQUEST['pm_head']) ? (int) $_REQUEST['pm_head'] : 0, !empty($_REQUEST['pmsg']) ? (int) $_REQUEST['pmsg'] : 0;
else

I think it only needs one symbol more, and should be this

// Do the actual sending of the PM.
if (!empty($recipientList['to']) || !empty($recipientList['bcc']))
$context['send_log'] = sendpm($recipientList, $_REQUEST['subject'], $_REQUEST['message'], !empty($_REQUEST['outbox']), null, !empty($_REQUEST['pm_head']) ? (int) $_REQUEST['pm_head'] : 0, !empty($_REQUEST['pmsg']) ? (int) $_REQUEST['pmsg'] : 0);
else

The change is right at the end of the line, before the ;

To further explain a bit, the unexpected * error means there is a symbol that is misplaced, usually so that it cuts off something that was started but not finished completely. In this case there is a line with an opening ( but no closing ) before the ;.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

brynn

Yay, I think it's fixed!  No more white page, Inbox is showing as expected.  Sent a test message.  Although the reply might not come right away, still, I'm pretty sure it's fixed.  No errors in the forum Error Log.

Lex, how can I ever thank you for such patience and persistence!  Thank you so, so much!!  And thanks to everyone else too, who were still following the thread!

Now one last task, to reinstall Stop Spammer in the IC forum.  I'll try right now....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Great! Now, you have done a lot of changes in a small time frame, so keep a lookout for errors and oddities for a while. Just to be sure :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

brynn

Yyyaaaayy!!  Good news!  Stop Spammer was reinstalled as per earlier instructions, and without any problems.

Whew, that was one long update process!!  Everything seems to be working properly, no new errors showing up.

I just have to THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH !! especially to Lex, but to everyone who has been following and helping!!

I've been thinking about trying to learn PHP.  Not enough to be able to write programs, but maybe learning a little bit about it will help me make edits like these, without having to ask so many questions.

When I looked at the W3Schools PHP Tutorial, it says that learning Javascript is a prerequisite.  So that's a little bit of a bummer.  But I guess JS can be useful to know as well.  But it makes the road seem so long!

Is it true that JS is needed, to be able to learn PHP?  Or is that just the way the W3Schools tutorial teaches it?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

From my own experience, tinkering with SMF is a good start. I started as a complete noob. I'm sure this experience right now has even tought you something that you will be able to apply in practise the next time :)

Edited to add:
I'm happy to have marked the topic solved. :) If however you still run in to errors or other problems related to this, do let us know.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

brynn

Oh yes, I did not forget about marking it solved.  I just thought I'd wait a few days, just to make sure nothing else comes up.  Because as you pointed out, there were significant changes, which could affect other things, unforeseen.  But I can unsolve it, if necessary.

You're right -- I did learn a lot....if nothing else, I gained in confidence.  It gives me hope that you started as much a novice as me.

Anyway, thanks again!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Tansy

Reading this thread was the most educational and terrifying I've had in a long time.  I too had a problem upgrading to 2.0.15 from 2.0.14 so thought I'll read up on problems others have had first.  WOW.  Once the panic attack was over, I took a deep breath, scrolled back to page one and started by uninstalling Stop Spammer and went from there.  Fortunately my forum is a little pipsqueak of a forum and I only have a few mods and once upon a time I used to be a computer programmer (very old school).  So uninstall, install, modify code and reinstall was all that was necessary and the pipsqueak seems very happy indeed.

Thank you to Lex and everyone else who helped Brynn wade through her upgrade problems - your expertise & her experiences helped me avoid all sorts of chaos!

Advertisement: