Set posting rights for a board for one membergroup only

Started by Bandicoot, January 29, 2018, 02:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandicoot

I am going around in circles and getting nowhere. I am totally confused and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

What I want to do is have a category, or if necessary each board in that category, that regular members cannot post to. Replies are okay.

I am assuming members who can post will belong to a new membergroup I set up.

I need a step-by-step guide how to do this. So far everything I have tried still allows anyone to post to the board.

The more I read, the more confused I get. I need clear instructions for dummies please. Any help will be appreciated.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I will be happy to explain this more in depth later, but to begin with...

Yes, first create a new membergroup for those you want to be able to post in your board.
Then create a new permission profile for that board in Permissions -> "Edit profiles", then set the board to use that profile in Permissions -> "Board permissions".

In that new profile, make sure regular members (and post count groups if you use them for permissions) do not allow anything you want to restrict.

Permissions
Board Permissions
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Bandicoot

I figured it out. I was doing everything right except for the final move.

For the new profile, I had to select "Regular Members" and "Clear permissions...." for "Post new topics".

As usual, as soon as I ask for help, I find the answer!

I guess that was what you were saying too.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, that's what I meant with making sure regular members or post count groups are not giving out restricted rights. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: