News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why is not the default theme allowed to showcase your forum?

Started by Doug Heffernan, February 25, 2018, 12:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Heffernan

As the title says. At the sticky topic at the showcase forum I read this rule:

No default themes or default theme variations.  Be creative, everyone's seen the SMF default themes before.

To me this does not make sense at all. Why is not the default theme allowed? As it happens, I like the default theme of Smf a lot, but I can not showcase my forum here because of it.

Deaks

as we all know what the default theme looks like idea is to showcase what SMF can DO and showcase DIFFERENT looks.   

QuoteBe creative, everyone's seen the SMF default themes before.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: BryanD on February 25, 2018, 12:41:45 PM
as we all know what the default theme looks like idea is to showcase what SMF can DO and showcase DIFFERENT looks.   

QuoteBe creative, everyone's seen the SMF default themes before.

Yes, but that topic has been posted quite some time ago looking at its start date and that part about the default theme was meant for older versions I think. Whereas the default theme for Smf 2.1. is awesome.

Illori

does not matter which version of SMF you cannot be approved in the showcase board if you use the default theme or a color variation of it.

Deaks

Quote from: doug_ips on February 25, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
Yes, but that topic has been posted quite some time ago looking at its start date and that part about the default theme was meant for older versions I think. Whereas the default theme for Smf 2.1. is awesome.

SMF 2.1 is not advised to be used on a live environment unless you know what your are doing, so if SMF started allowing people to post the default 2.1 theme then this will encourage people who are not confident to use it causing massive issues.  Ok 2.1 will eventually be released on final and I say eventually as its been worked on for 6 years or so now, and as the precedent has been set by allowing your site then an influx of people who have done nothing will start submitting citing your post in their case.  Meaning that the best scenario would be to remove your post.  So to save time why should the team remove something that is not broken?  Also no the default aspect was not ment just for older versions, can you imagine how boring it would be to see 100 sites all using the same theme in no different way? the board is to showcase what SMF can do not showcase what we all know it can do.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: BryanD on March 01, 2018, 05:50:28 AM
Quote from: doug_ips on February 25, 2018, 02:50:09 PM

SMF 2.1 is not advised to be used on a live environment unless you know what your are doing, so if SMF started allowing people to post the default 2.1 theme then this will encourage people who are not confident to use it causing massive issues.  Ok 2.1 will eventually be released on final and I say eventually as its been worked on for 6 years or so now, and as the precedent has been set by allowing your site then an influx of people who have done nothing will start submitting citing your post in their case.  Meaning that the best scenario would be to remove your post.  So to save time why should the team remove something that is not broken?  Also no the default aspect was not ment just for older versions, can you imagine how boring it would be to see 100 sites all using the same theme in no different way? the board is to showcase what SMF can do not showcase what we all know it can do.

I agree with you about using a beta or rc version on a live site is not recommended. However, if SMF started allowing people to post the default 2.1 theme, how it will encourage people who are not confident to use it. That does not make much sense to me.

Smf 2.1. has been in developement for 6 years now, so anyone who whould have used it would have done so or does so. And you can not prevent users from using it or not. All one can do is to point out why it is not best used in a live forum, and it is up to the user to follow that advice or not.

And what maight be boring for one, it is not for others, and vice versa. You find the default smf 2.1. theme boring, I find it nice looking for ex.

Illori

if you are trying to convince us to approve the use of the default theme in showcase no matter which version of SMF is being used, that will not happen.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Illori on March 01, 2018, 08:17:31 AM
if you are trying to convince us to approve the use of the default theme in showcase no matter which version of SMF is being used, that will not happen.

I do not know where did you get that idea from, but I am not trying to convince anyone to approve the use of the default theme in showcase. It is crystal clear to me that that is not going to happen. I simply responded to BryanD 's post.

Deaks

doug_ips, the rules of each board and section get discussed alot,the last updates to the showcase were May 2017, in 11 years no team of SMF have ever voted to allow default theme in showcase, the section is to showcase what SMF can do NOT what SMF looks like out of the box.  Even when I was Project Manager and before when I was a regular team member their has never been support to allow default theme in the showcase, when Kindred took over the role their was still no support for it, and when illori took over as Project Manager I can guess from illori's posts that their is still no support for it.   Now to make you understand how massive this is.  Illori and I disagree on majority of things, we seldom see eye to eye so for us to BOTH state this aint gonna happen anytime soon is quite staunch message.  The decision is made democratically by the team.

Also you have put no case forward for it that is outwith a personal view, and im guessing your site got rejected cause of this. You have not put forward a case to support your view other than you feel it was about a dif default theme.   But please remember, 1.0 default theme was AMAZING for its time. 1.1 Theme was stunning. 2.0 Theme was a great step forward, and the 2.1 theme is also cutting edge, when 3.0 gets released someone will post the same message as you have likley when their site gets rejected from showcase.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: BryanD on March 01, 2018, 09:31:11 AM
im guessing your site got rejected cause of this.

I did not submit my site link to the Showcase forum, because if I did with the default theme on, it would have been against the rules. 

And I always respect the rules wherever I go/am, even if I do not agree with it/them.

I was simply wondering about the default theme not being allowed rule. Because as I said, I really like it a lot. It was one of the main reasons that made me choose Smf. I found that rule strange because to me it looked like Smf is not proud of their default theme. That is why I posted this topic.

Anyways, I get the feeling that this is a somewhat touchy subject here, so I will not be bringing it up again. I am here because I like Smf a lot and I enjoy trying to help out here whenever I can. I do not want to stirr up any debates or anything like that.

Deaks

its not a touchy subject dude :) as I said its a decision the team make and the team have never supported the allowance of default themes since the day the rules were introduced.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: doug_ips on March 01, 2018, 10:17:56 AM
I was simply wondering about the default theme not being allowed rule. Because as I said, I really like it a lot. It was one of the main reasons that made me choose Smf. I found that rule strange because to me it looked like Smf is not proud of their default theme. That is why I posted this topic.
It isn't because we're not proud of the default theme. The point is simply that if there's not much that is different than you can see in here, it kills some of the purpose of the board that is to showcase what SMF can do. This site will eventually be upgraded to 2.1 as well and by then there will also be no point in showcasing any forums with the default 2.1 theme, since you can already see it here. Which leaves more variety and more interesting forums to be showcased in the board :)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: