News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Moving Fourm to new Sever

Started by PapaBoam, January 30, 2018, 07:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaBoam

Hi there,

Firstly id like to say I am very new to SMF and trying to learn before I make any mistakes.

We have been given a forum from someone who no longer has the time to run it. We would like to move the forum from his server to our own. Before doing this Id like to know what needs to be done to minimize any lose of content.

TESTING MY SERVER

The Forum is currently running SMF 1.1.21

When installing version 1.1.21 as a test on my server the installer dose not appear.

Trying to install version 2.0.15 on our server works fine, this leads me to think that the issue is that our server is running PHP 7.0.26. I have read that SMF version 1 is not compatible?

DATABASE

We have been given a copy of the current database and have been able to import this into our server using PHPmyadmin for testing.

MY OPTIONS?

What are my options here?

Should we upgrade the forum on the old server then move to the new one?

Is it possible to upgrade on the new server with its PHP being unsupported? If so, Would I need to duplicate the current forum on to new sever using FTP then overwrite with the upgrade files?

Apologies for a lot of questions, I would like to make sure that I have a solid plan before going forward.

Thank you all for taking the time to help out :)

Looking

First make a complete backup. Then upgrade on old and transfer to new.

PapaBoam

Thank you for getting back to me.

I will check with the current owner that we have a complete back up and see if there is any reason why he has held off updating to version 2 for so long.

When moving to a new server, How should I watch out and correct any missing image links? I imagine there my be issues due to the change in locations?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: PapaBoam on January 30, 2018, 07:04:21 AM
MY OPTIONS?

What are my options here?

Should we upgrade the forum on the old server then move to the new one?
If your current server doesn't run 2.0 nicely, and your new server won't support 1.1 -
then I'd suggest copying the 1.1 installation to the new server, and running the large upgrade only after the move.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: