News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

FTP Error Popping Up

Started by KensonPlays, January 31, 2018, 10:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KensonPlays

So I have purchased a VPS finally, and installed LAMP stack on the Ubuntu installation, but I keep getting this:

I am not able to get it to allow me to install/uninstall packages. I have even chmodded the whole /html directory to 777 (temporarily, still setting up site, not public yet), and that doesn't even help.

What's needed to get this fixed and working properly? I have verified, and the user/password are correct.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Does the same login info work correctly when using a standalone FTP client like Filezilla?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

and why would you EVER use a root user for that? ???
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

KensonPlays

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 01, 2018, 12:14:55 AM
Does the same login info work correctly when using a standalone FTP client like Filezilla?

Read below. I cannot figure out how to get it to work either on SMF or Filezilla.

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2018, 03:28:00 PM
and why would you EVER use a root user for that? ???
My first time using a VPS of any sort. Made a couple users but I cannot figure out how to get FTP working on the account (named it ' kenson ')

---------

Cannot edit my OP for some reason. The VPS runs Ubuntu 14.04 and won't let me update it without breaking one of their terms.

Illori

is there a specific reason why you picked a VPS to host your forum? is this VPS managed or unmanaged?

KensonPlays

Quote from: Illori on February 02, 2018, 05:10:36 AM
is there a specific reason why you picked a VPS to host your forum? is this VPS managed or unmanaged?

I think unmanaged? But I'm not sure. They're called VPSCraft, and they pre-install the requirements for a Minecraft server. 12gb ram and 100gb of space, I'm thinking "That's enough for a 6gb minecraft server, a couple discord bots, and a website all at once."

Illori

if you dont know how to manage a webserver then dont use an unmanaged server for your forum.

KensonPlays

Quote from: Illori on February 02, 2018, 12:20:43 PM
if you dont know how to manage a webserver then dont use an unmanaged server for your forum.

Thing is, I can't afford more than roughly $30/mo.

And I would want to have MC, Website, and discord bot all on same place.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: KensonPlays on February 02, 2018, 03:13:29 AM

Read below. I cannot figure out how to get it to work either on SMF or Filezilla.
You should first make sure you have an FTP user account that works through a standalone FTP client.
SMF can't use a connection that doesn't exist.

Quote from: KensonPlays on February 02, 2018, 01:24:05 PM

You would probably be better off with hosting the website side of things on a different shared hosting environment,
or getting some help with running your server.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

KensonPlays

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 03, 2018, 01:40:24 AM
Quote from: KensonPlays on February 02, 2018, 03:13:29 AM

You should first make sure you have an FTP user account that works through a standalone FTP client.
SMF can't use a connection that doesn't exist.

Quote from: KensonPlays on February 02, 2018, 01:24:05 PM

You would probably be better off with hosting the website side of things on a different shared hosting environment,
or getting some help with running your server.

I've been on a shared webhost for a while now. It runs noticeably slower (Siteground).

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, it all depends on many things - some shared hosts are better than others, and if your forum hasn't grown very large you should be fine with a shared hist for some time really.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

KensonPlays

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 04, 2018, 11:27:36 PM
Well, it all depends on many things - some shared hosts are better than others, and if your forum hasn't grown very large you should be fine with a shared hist for some time really.

True, but I already have the VPS, and Minecraft/Discord bots running fine on it. The only problem is adding plugins to SMF, everything else is working perfectly fine.

Kindred

that woukd likely be because of the way you have your system set up and chown-ed....

If you have php running as a nobody user instead of an account user, then you are going to have issues with permissions to edit files, likely regardless of the chmod (although, usually, 777, while not ideal, will get around this)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

KensonPlays

Quote from: Kindred on February 08, 2018, 02:54:26 PM
that woukd likely be because of the way you have your system set up and chown-ed....

If you have php running as a nobody user instead of an account user, then you are going to have issues with permissions to edit files, likely regardless of the chmod (although, usually, 777, while not ideal, will get around this)

Even CHMODDING to 777  (in the /var/www/html) didn't seem to help (even temporarily only while installing plugins, then changing to 755 afterwards did not work.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just out of curiosity, how did you originally install SMF?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

drewactual

make a file on your server called 'phpinfophp'... in it, plant this:
<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

?>

then, open a browser and navigate to that page... post a copy of your list here for us to see. 

if you were provisioned by your hosting company for a specific purpose, (gaming?) then they likely installed an apache set that is locked down pretty tight... you may have to make some adjustments to your httpd, ini, or htaccess to kick some services on, or turn a few off...

one of the mods that cause SMF grief, for instance, is mod_security2.   it can be a mutha- but it is also a valuable thing to have if properly configured. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi KensonPlays, any updates on this? :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: