News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Most popular thread at the moment mod?

Started by thenakedscientists, February 03, 2018, 06:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenakedscientists

This functionality may already exist; if so, can someone please point me towards it...

Specifically, I'm looking to offer a button that says "What's everyone looking at right now?" This will link dynamically to the thread that's been most active in the last x minutes, or has the most people looking at it in the last x minutes.

Does this function already exist? If not, what variables do I need to extract, and how, in order to code this up?

Thanks

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

thenakedscientists

Many thanks!

Do you, by any chance know how this measures "most popular" ?

Looking at the code changes in the install process, it looks like it's totting up posting totals. That could be helpful to me, but what I'm really after is a version of "who's viewing" - essentially I am looking to identify the thread that has the most people looking at it at any time so I can flag that up.

Can you point me in the right direction to do this please?

Steve

thenakedscientists

Thanks; I'll follow that up.

I'm a bit surprised that the function I'm highlighting doesn't exist, to be honest. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place...

Steve

There is a 'Top Ten Topics (by views)' if you click 'More Stats' in your forum stats in the Info Center. Don't know if that will help.

Kindred

Well, it's oretty much an irrelevant statistic, since it is artificially incrememented by search engines
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

thenakedscientists

Thanks both; I appreciate the point about search engines, but in a high-traffic site the spiders will be a smaller contribution than the visitors, and the spiders will be touching multiple pages, so my theory is that the human input will still be visible above this noise; we'll see !

I'll check out the stats item though - that may be the piece of code I need...

Steve

Quote from: thenakedscientists on February 06, 2018, 03:48:07 AM
Thanks both; I appreciate the point about search engines, but in a high-traffic site the spiders will be a smaller contribution than the visitors, and the spiders will be touching multiple pages, so my theory is that the human input will still be visible above this noise; we'll see !

Oh? This thread has 290 views as of this moment and I'll warrant that maybe 50, if that, are human.

Kindred

and, also....  I have viewed this thread 5 times -- so, five of those views are just one person.
Some threads, I have opened 20 or more times...

The number of views is a buck useless stat. Replies = engagement.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: