Pending 2.1 RC ? What's RC?

Started by landyvlad, January 24, 2018, 12:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

I read in another thread here that 2.1RC is likely to be released 'soon'.

No, I'm not after a date for that.

I assume that RC stands for 'release candidate'?

In which case I also assume that means "production ready" ?

So to clarify this isn't a date thread, merely a question of terminology .
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

br360

RC does stand for release candidate. It shouldn't be considered production ready though, as there could still be quite a few changes made (RC2, RC3, etc.) before it went gold.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Release Candidate is correct, and it means potentially production ready with reservations.
Basically, from the end user perspective all same warnings and cautions apply as with beta versions.

Edit; Ninja'd - I was slow. :P
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

landyvlad

Thanks, that sort of makes sense.

What would be the difference between a beta and RC version then?

Is it that with an RC version all the features etc are 'locked in' and the remaining work is just to make sure that everything is stable and working as expected (as opposed to the more development focused beta) ?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is basically it yes. RC should be a release the team believes to be ready to be released for production, but still needs testing to find and eliminate any remaining show stopper bugs.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

FYI, 2.0 had 4 betas and 5 RCs (actually 8, there were 3 RC1s and 2 RC4s, but that's being picky).

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

landyvlad

ok cheers for the history lesson! :)

Stefan1200

In most cases RC means, that version is feature complete, only bugs will be fixed.

landyvlad

Advertisement: