Photography Hosting ---- off site

Started by SaltedWeb, February 04, 2018, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

I was wondering what is a good way to use Photography Hosting ---- off site.

I am semi-pro photographer and found a way to use SMF to show my work, however pref not to have the pictures on site,
wonder if there are any free services that can used. I have used Flickr before but unless I pay for their pro-package my work stay
unlinked. ( if that's a word ) . To answer why not on my current host well its shared and really don't want to use bandwidth for them
if it can be done elsewhere. Thanks
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

vbgamer45

Free services the risk is you can you loose your files at any time I would't advise it. There are a lot of low cost hosting options out there just read over the terms of service.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

lurkalot

Free services could some day turn in to paid services.  Example = Photobucket

I only have a small photography community, but all images are uploaded to my gallery.  If you want them just for displaying on the web then the files won't be too big anyway. Think there's about 16gb worth of pics in my gallery atm.  17,083 images in 338 albums and 2 categories with 24,324 comments.

I believe if you host them elsewhere there is a risk the image proxy will cache them anyway.  Though I don't really understand this proxy stuff.

SaltedWeb

This is why I asked you guys, I never really care much about my forums and pics as they are not usually very much.
But was unsure hosting a site with allot of photos.  I am hoping to sell some of the work to pay for upgrades I have stuff
on FB but I hate FB, ..........
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

lurkalot

Quote from: SaltedWeb on February 04, 2018, 01:18:27 PM
This is why I asked you guys, I never really care much about my forums and pics as they are not usually very much.
But was unsure hosting a site with allot of photos.  I am hoping to sell some of the work to pay for upgrades I have stuff
on FB but I hate FB, ..........

Make sure the host hasn't got inode limits , otherwise you could outgrow, and they'll be prompting you to upgrade or worse.  Hostgator for example has these limits even though it says unlimited space.   ;)

Gwenwyfar

Imageshack also stepped on all the smaller user's toes by going paid without small plans, but depending on how much you will use it it could be worth it, they're still a good image host. It's $37 yearly. If it's not that much use, then maybe staying on your own host is enough.

There's some decent free ones also, but it's like everyone has said, they could go down eventually.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

SaltedWeb

I used to use Flickr problem is linking them varied as they modified their site after Yahoo bought it linking was even more difficult.
I think I will just upload them, I found installing two mods may help. Fancybox that was quicker then clicking and appeared to use allot less
bandwidth based on how fast also depending on browsers clicking can automatically download this helps avoid that. The Watermark mod I am going to use as
well saves me allot of time and wont edit the original at home and will limit those whom might want to download.

Looking at the process a person may look at the photo, open it and then download it. These mods should help lesson the amount of bandwidth
as it makes it less likely someone will download them.

I wont be using Gallery as I simply don't like the design and how it works so doing things different appreciate the feedback I think in the name of time, security and a couple good mods should help lower how much is used.

Thank You all for the feedback its appreciated,  ;D

Advertisement: