News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bots or No Bots ?

Started by aegersz, February 05, 2018, 10:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

I am still not sure if i am happy about having heaps of bots crawling all over my site.

So I thought i would ask the good people here what they think about them ...

Are they relatively harmless or what ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

vbgamer45

Depends what they are. I only allow the google, bing,  bots others I block.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

aegersz

(not search indexing spiders)

i must admit that i am still puzzled by what their purpose in life is ?

why are there so many ?

who do they suck out all my data ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

vbgamer45

Spider and find information and organizer companies have different needs for the data
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

aegersz

but who would want my data ? the DEA / LE maybe but that's all  :P

do the bots discriminate and target certain sites or it's just opportunism ?

vbgamer45

Not really they spider every site.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: