News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Enable Announce Topic by default

Started by axessit, February 06, 2018, 02:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axessit

We run a private forum with only 14 users. I was wondering if I could set the Announce Topic to default to on, so everyone gets notified of a new post (we don't get a lot, and if I can turn it on, I can turn it off).

Illori

announce topic by default does not send an email to everyone by default, it allows the users to announce the topic and that would send the email to everyone. what you want is not a default feature of SMF.

axessit

Yes, that is right. So what I was wondering if the button could be enabled by default, instead of disabled by default. Is that possible ? Then when they post they get asked for the emails to be sent etc.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There's a permission for announcing a topic that you can give to any user group you want, but be warned -
that functionality can be easily used to spam, or the announcements be misinterpreted as spam by receiving e-mail providers even if it is all legit.
I would be very cautious to give out that permission.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

axessit

Can I expand the "Attachments and other options" part of the forum by default so users can see the options - my users are thick and can't seem to find the announce topic radio button because that part is collapsed by default.

axessit

OK, I found how to always display the additional options - Admin->Configuration->Current Theme and at the very bottom is the "Enable collapsible additional post options:" which I unchecked and this now makes the Announce display - all I need is for the box to be checked by default like the Notify Replies is.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I would still advice against it, but you can find the code for those options in post.template.php I think.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: