Duplicate "Quote from:" header

Started by JTVaughn, February 10, 2018, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTVaughn

Running SMF 2.0.15. I've made a new theme based on my current (working) one (by downloading the folder, editing the template/css, and then re-uploading), but have this above quote blocks

Quote from: Vaughn on Tue Oct  3 2017, 12:52
Quote from: Vaughn on Tue Oct  3 2017, 12:52

The red one is the correct link to the post, the one above it is an erroneous duplicate

Anyone know what's caused this or how to fix it?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Could you show a link to post with that appearing?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 10, 2018, 09:23:52 AM

Can I PM you a link to register on my forum? It's not the active theme for guests

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: JTVaughn on February 10, 2018, 09:47:50 AM

Can I PM you a link to register on my forum? It's not the active theme for guests
I can take a look, but perhaps just create a disposable account for me and PM the login?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 10, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: JTVaughn on February 10, 2018, 09:47:50 AM

I can take a look, but perhaps just create a disposable account for me and PM the login?

PM sent

I've just noticed it's on both themes actually, so might've only happened with the 2.0.14 or 15 updates I ran yesterday

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's actually an odd one - in the same topic there are quotes with that double, and both before and after there are again quotes without it.
Could you try to view the "faulty" message through modifying it and make sure the extra line is not actually there as part of the message?

EDIT:

Actually, quoting it showed me it isn't. And at least in preview, I don't see it happening on a subsequent quote.
What if you modify the post, just save it again - does the ghost line stay there?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 10, 2018, 10:05:01 AM
Could you try to view the "faulty" message through modifying it and make sure the extra line is not actually there as part of the message?

Definitely not part of the message, it looks the exact same as the quote code in this post I'm making now

JTVaughn

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 10, 2018, 10:05:01 AM
Actually, quoting it showed me it isn't. And at least in preview, I don't see it happening on a subsequent quote.
What if you modify the post, just save it again - does the ghost line stay there?

Yep, still there

Here's a list of packages, if this helps

1.   SMF 2.0.12 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Admin Notepad   2.0.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   SMF 2.0.15 Update   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Spoiler Tag   0.7.2a     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Group Color in Posts and Profile   1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   PM to New Members   1.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Alternate User Posting   1.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   SMFPacks Shoutbox Pro   1.0.12     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Topic & Board Note   1.0.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   SMFPacks Likes Pro Mod   2.0.10     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   SMFPacks Media Embedder   1.0.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   Misc Anti Spam   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   Order Stickied Topics   1.01     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.   Optimus Brave   1.8.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin   4.1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   SMF 2.0.14 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   SMF 2.0.13 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18.   Advanced Recent Posts   1.1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19.   First Post on every Page   1.5     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   SMFPacks Alerts Pro   2.0.17     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   KeyCAPTCHA for SMF   2.5   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   SMF 2.0.11 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
23.   Menu Button Manager   Beta 4.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
24.   SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
25.   Remove "Last edit" mod   0.2.5     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
26.   Number of Unapproved Posts and Topics in Header   1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
27.   SimplePortal   2.3.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
28.   Footer Menu v.1   v.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
29.   BxK's WAP Mod   2.0 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, I realized that too.

Just trying to narrow down options here, do you have any idea what separates the posts having that error and posts not having it?
Were they posted differently ( quick reply vs. full reply / wysiwyg editor vs. traditional? )
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Tried with quick reply and full reply, I got the duplicate line both times

I think it does it every time now, but it only applied retroactively to some posts but not others

But it definitely happens with every quote now

The other site admin previously ran an update (I think a patch) to 2.0.14 and then 15, but had errors so rolled back to 13, before I returned a while later and applied 14 and 15 again. Is it possible there's some code that wasn't removed during the rollback and is now in there twice?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Could you attach your /Sources/Subs.php here - I'd like to take a look, even though I'm not sure I'm on the right track here...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, could not spot anything on that side of things to explain that, perhaps your /Themes/default/display.template.php then?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Attached the one from my custom theme, which also has a display.template.php

I also checked the SMF default theme and the duplicate quote line appears in that too

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, I'm lost for now - will have think about this a bit. Something in how the quote block is formed must be the cause, but right now I'm just not getting a hang of it....
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Appreciate your efforts so far

Here's a link if anyone else wants to see the problem in action http://www.mzp-tv.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28.8575

Very confusing issue

Illori

since the forum has been upgraded and downgraded it might be easier to start over with fresh files this way you know all files are at the correct version then reinstall your mods.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

JTVaughn

Quote from: Illori on February 10, 2018, 12:28:55 PM
since the forum has been upgraded and downgraded it might be easier to start over with fresh files this way you know all files are at the correct version then reinstall your mods.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Tried that, didn't work

*However*, I didn't do the optional "you can also remove Sources and Themes folders" part. Does that help narrow down the problem?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It could actually be a mod working through hooks then, and interfering with how the quote bbc is parsed. I'd perhaps try disabling/removing mods that add or change any BBC functionality or autoembedding, one by one, to see if removing one from the picture solves it.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JTVaughn

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 11, 2018, 01:49:09 AM
It could actually be a mod working through hooks then, and interfering with how the quote bbc is parsed. I'd perhaps try disabling/removing mods that add or change any BBC functionality or autoembedding, one by one, to see if removing one from the picture solves it.

That fixed it. It was the SMFPacks Media Embedder mod.

Marking solved  :)

Advertisement: