News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ad unblocked?

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, January 24, 2018, 10:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiroyvH

But I have already explained what the cause is and what changed several times in this topic. o0
That's why I also don't understand why this thread is still going in circles. :P
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: CoreISP on January 29, 2018, 12:16:12 PM
But I have already explained what the cause is and what changed several times in this topic. o0

Oh well, guess I'm just not seeing it.

That's why I also don't understand why this thread is still going in circles. :P

Some of us don't have much to do.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

Ok, I'll try it one more time then.

Usually, most of our ads are served by Google. This is a script that calls to Google, so it does not pass through our own advertising system. (The only thing that does is inject the Google code on the section where the banner is supposed to be.)
Your browser is blocking those. Everytime an advertisement is loaded from Google: you do not see them as your browser blocks it and/or its tracking.
Your browser is not blocking our advertising system, no: its specifically blocking the Google code whenever that is loaded up.

Other ads, such as NameCheap, "Advertise with us" and recently for example the Western Legends advertisement are served directly from our own dvertising system and in no way have anything to do with Google. Its served from simplemachines.org, doesn't call anywhere; it says indoors so to say; no code is presented: it just displays the linked banner. The banner is also loaded directly from our servers.
Now the intensity of the adcampaigns running directly from our servers may vary. And we don't always have campaigns running either.

That's why sometimes you might not see any ads at all for weeks. That means the banners are solely or near exclusively loaded by Google, which you block.
Sometimes you maybe only see a banner (a/very) few times, but mostly still don't get to see any banner. The ones you see come from us, the ones you don't see come from Google.
And at other times it might occur that you see a lot of banners and hardly ever do not see a banner. That means the balance shifted: we have more impressions setup for running campaigns than for displaying Google banners. The banners you see again come directly from us, the ones you do not see are Google's banners which are still blocked by your browser.

So, if you do not see a banner: its Google. Your browser is blocking it.
If you do see a banner: its being served from our advertising system, your browser is not blocking it.
If it does block it, please whitelist us. :P They're non-intrusive.

So your adblocker/anti-tracking is working fine. Whenever you don't see a banner, it means your browser plugin is doing its work and it blocks Google's tracker.
If you do see a banner and its clearly a google banner (you can recognise them usually because a "X" is displayed in the upper right corner of the banner.) but your browser is supposed to block it, then you should check your adblocker settings.

Please be advised that we only allow non-intrusive banners on our site and have instructed Google to honour that.
It should generally be safe to whitelist our website entirely, rather than just whitelisting our advertising system.
Of course that does mean Google could track your behaviour on our website, whenever a GoogleAd is loaded.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Sir Osis of Liver

Thx for the explanation, now I understand how it works.  But I've never seen an ad on this site until I posted this question, never, unless I had blocker disabled.  Never.

- R. Waters

live627

Acceptable Ads without third-party tracking is a new feature in ABP.

Sir Osis of Liver

Yeah, saw that.  Stopped using it three months ago, was causing problems in IE, and occasionally went crazy and ran cpu usage up around 100%.  Getting to be a bit bloaty, methinks. :P

- R. Waters

lurkalot

Talking of ads on here, I quite often see this broken one on the mods page.

Sir Osis of Liver

All ads have been gone since shortly after my last post.  Nothing changed on my end.  Go figure.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: