Advertisement:

Author Topic: can not upload a zipped package but from directory is working  (Read 322 times)

Offline richardwbb

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 300
  • currently reading; '$smcFunc'
can not upload a zipped package but from directory is working
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »
I'm in the process of writing my first package and at first I got this error (package_get_error_is_zero), the important part is in bold,

Quote
Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the &quot;temp&quot; sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:<br />1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.<br />2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your &quot;Packages&quot; folder, in this example you may call it "shout".<br />3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.<br />4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

Because I had no package to start with, I followed what was written in the error and put my files inside a directory in 'Packages'. Now that I have something working (SMF is saying  'Success'), I put all files back inside a zip or tar.gz (the error stays the same) and maybe I am overlooking something obvious? It is my first package and others do work, I did verify that all files mentioned in the xml also exist in the package.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Offline richardwbb

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 300
  • currently reading; '$smcFunc'
Re: can not upload a zipped package but from directory is working
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »
Somehow the 'install.xml', became corrupted and was only recognized as a bzip2 and then a corrupted tar file. I don't know how I possibly got that there, but after a good while searching for it, I saw the SMF installer system report 'Modification parse error' and then I quickly found the problem.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.