News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Banned on my own forum, can't log in as admin

Started by cat11, February 15, 2018, 05:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat11

Hello
Today I tried to enter my forum www.forum.4kolka.pl and I got this message: "Sorry Guest, you have been banned on this forum. Your ban will never expire.

In my language it's shown on this screenshot: http://i.share.pho.to/8cace427_o.png

I can't view forum, can't log in as admin or any other account. I logged in via proxy anonymous as an admin and checked if my IP is on ban list but it is not present there. I have no idea what happened, few days ago it was OK, I'm the only mod/admin there.
Please help.

Bigguy

There is a way to unban yourself through the database and phpmyadmin if I recall but I am not sure how to do it. You'll have to wait for staff here. There is no one banned in your admin area when you login with a proxy. ??

cat11

There are of course bans but I don't see my IP. I also don't know what caused this problem - I didn't ban anyone nowdays.

Bigguy

Have you checked your server logs out to see if anything in there is helpful. ???

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Try another browser, and let us know if you hit the same ban then?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

if you are hitting a ban, you should see a message in the error log related to the ban. it is possible you can track that information back to the bans set on the forum to remove the ban.

a10

If nothing else helps (and presuming there are not 1000's of bans set :O) log in using the proxy, set bans to Expired / disabled one at the time, try log in from normal ip, continue until you find the culprit.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

aegersz

Quote from: Bigguy on February 15, 2018, 07:01:44 AM
There is a way to unban yourself through the database and phpmyadmin if I recall but I am not sure how to do it. You'll have to wait for staff here. There is no one banned in your admin area when you login with a proxy. ??

I think what you are looking for is the {db_prefix}ban_items table

you'd think that the smfadmin user would be exempt but not so
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Admin is protected I think, but only when logged in. If you are unable to login, it can become problem.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

aegersz

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

cat11

Quote from: Bigguy on February 15, 2018, 07:18:39 AM
Have you checked your server logs out to see if anything in there is helpful. ???
No it's over my abilities... I checked ban triggers on SMF bans (no hitson this date) - like there was ban but not listed.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 15, 2018, 08:18:27 AM
Try another browser, and let us know if you hit the same ban then?
Tried, didn't help - still the same.

Quote from: Illori on February 15, 2018, 08:22:58 AM
if you are hitting a ban, you should see a message in the error log related to the ban. it is possible you can track that information back to the bans set on the forum to remove the ban.

How can I do that? Pls describe.

Quote from: aegersz on February 16, 2018, 03:44:51 AM
Quote from: Bigguy on February 15, 2018, 07:01:44 AM

I think what you are looking for is the {db_prefix}ban_items table

you'd think that the smfadmin user would be exempt but not so

Thnx, I'll check it today and will reply if i found something there

EDIT: Thera also my IP is not present anywhere, what else should I check?(maybe i searched wrong? something else than IP or host name?)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Go through smf_ban_groups and set ALL the groups expire_time to 0

Then clear your cookies, and try enter the forum again.
If you get in, go through your bans and make sure you don't reactivate any ban that might affect you.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

cat11

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 17, 2018, 01:31:31 AM

Then clear your cookies, and try enter the forum again.
If you get in, go through your bans and make sure you don't reactivate any ban that might affect you.

THNX it helped, it took me some time but problematic ban was finally found :) thnx once again

SaltedWeb

I was thinking if you tried logging in using a Tor Browser would that have worked ?
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: cat11 on February 19, 2018, 05:11:09 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 17, 2018, 01:31:31 AM
THNX it helped, it took me some time but problematic ban was finally found :) thnx once again
Nice :) You're welcome.

Quote from: SaltedWeb on February 19, 2018, 11:21:53 AM
I was thinking if you tried logging in using a Tor Browser would that have worked ?
That would depend on the type of ban that was causing trouble.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SaltedWeb

Quote from: SaltedWeb on February 19, 2018, 11:21:53 AM
That would depend on the type of ban that was causing trouble.
[/quote]

I was just thinking as a easy first try if it was blocking the IP. Curious what the trigger was for this to happen to them?
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

cat11

For others that will have this problem after me - try to set 0 on ban expiry but not all like me but few starting from last bans(all bans have its number). In this case it wasn't lats one but one before last. You need to clear cookies every time you check if something changed.

Advertisement: