News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

lost my forum

Started by rswift1, February 18, 2018, 10:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rswift1

i lost my forum ,   hxxp:www.talkforum.site/index.php [nonactive]   can anyone give me some tips ?

when i click on the link it doesn't come up.
any tip i would really appreciate,   Thanks

Bigguy

What was the last thing you did on your forum. ???

Bigguy

If you go to this url you get a different notice:

http://talkforum.site/

DNS maybe ???

Steve

I'd be calling my host to see what's up.
DO NOT pm me for support!

rswift1

i deleted spam members.  do you think i maybe click on the wrong delete ?

this is the cache,     hxxp:webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yO1TAk62XjUJ:www.talkforum.site/index.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us [nonactive]

this is my website,     hxxp:www.ohioturkeyhunter.net [nonactive]

Kindred

Talk to your host. The domain is not even resolving for me
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rswift1

:)  ok thanks fella's talk latter

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: rswift1 on February 19, 2018, 07:32:03 PM

Did you get this sorted with your host? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

almond

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 26, 2018, 04:30:56 AM
Quote from: rswift1 on February 19, 2018, 07:32:03 PM

Did you get this sorted with your host? :)

It did not. Their forum is still not pointing to any server.

aegersz

i can ping it:

[root@forum sysconfig]# ping www.talkforum.site
PING www.talkforum.site (198.54.117.200) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 198.54.117.200: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=186 ms

but the page looks empty
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

almond

Quote from: aegersz on March 01, 2018, 10:42:07 AM
i can ping it:

[root@forum sysconfig]# ping www.talkforum.site
PING www.talkforum.site (198.54.117.200) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 198.54.117.200: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=186 ms

but the page looks empty

198.54.117.200 is default namecheap's IP. Is the page you get redirected to when you purchase domain script that says "www.domain.tld registred at namecheap" is hosted at that IP address, so it seems like this person have messed up the DNS records.

aegersz

i see. IME, if i messed up a DNS entry then i get nothing so forgive my ignorance.

it would be comforting if they mentioned their IP (and path, if applicable) so everyone at least knew that the forum itself is ok.

thanks.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

GigaWatt

You can get the IP by pinging the domain name. The reply gives you the IP. And about the path... I had to use repair_settings.php to find the path :S.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

aegersz

of course, i use dig and nslookup normally but the problem is that the domain name is resolving to the wrong place, so the reported IP address is useless.

what we are all missing is the REAL IP address/path, not the one reported in my previous ping, and then they DNS records can be sorted out.

GigaWatt

Aha... OK... well, I'd try a host domain ping to get the host's IP along with this.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43626314/how-to-access-shared-hosting-website-by-ip-address

QuoteIf you're using shared hosting, making a HTTP request to the IP alone is not enough, as the server does not know which site you're looking for. Alongside the request, you must include the Host header, with your domain included.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There isn't much we can do about this, this should be handled with the host really.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: